PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some stunning photography here. The image of Park Avenue Tunnel Cut (NYC) reminds me of the cover of Led Zeppelin's album 'Physical Graffiti'.
Also of interest is the Helme Snuff Mill (NJ).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-40341771
Regards,
Jay.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Lovely, Jay. Haven't been to the Dakota's yet and this makes me want to do a motorbike tour through them-- maybe early fall. Thanks for interesting subjects, Jay.

Eric

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Eric, I would love to tour the States on a motorcycle, so much to see. I suppose the only way to do it properly would be on a Harley, not my favourite machine though I suspect ideal for those wide open roads you have over there.
Give me an old rattly Triumph or BSA any day :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, I have/had two Triumphs! I recently sold a Tiger 800XC dual sport and I customized a 2006 Speedmaster that I'm in the process of selling (relectantly). That Speedmaster is fine and holds it's head up around any Harley. I don't have access to my PC right now, but I'll post a picture later. I'm reducing my stable down to one bike, an Indian Roadmaster for touring with the wife. I was trying to teach her how to ride with a little Suzuki 200, but her interest never developed so I recently sold that one, too. She loves being on the back of that Indian, though! Yeah, you can't beat the British bikes for style and understated cool factor. Did you know, Norton is attempting a comeback, also?

Eric

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, I take it there have been multiple attempts? Norton is rather obscure, relatively speaking, so I think a come back will be difficult for the brand.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nowadays they are just brand names. I personally don't acknowledge 'modern' Triumphs as 'proper' Triumphs, same with Norton when they brought out their rotary engined bike but that's just me.
It's rather like pipe tobacco. Erinmore Flake made today is not the Erinmore Flake once made by Murrays and never will be. It's just a brand name that was sold to the highest bidder :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Norton have had two attempts to my certain knowledge. There was public version with the wankel engine and then there was the Canadian attempt which raised a bunch of money in the early 2000s in a failed U.S public listing. The current version looks a bit better with and is less of an array of assembled other bike parts. Getting a bike company of the ground is a guaranteed way to lose money and the only success to date has been John Bloor and the Triumph company. I have been following the fortunes of the new Brough Superior motorcycle which has to be the ugliest bike to ever fall off the drawing board and at $61,000 a bike I think it will have a fairly limited market. Having owned several original Brough's over the years and being very familiar with the marks many idiosyncrasies I will be fascinated to see how well this version sells although I fear it is another Hesketh in the making!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I enjoyed it when I saw the story on BBC. I particularly noted that a bit of the whys as to the shooter's choice of perspective for many shots. Knowing what the photographer was trying to accomplish allows the viewer to critique or assess how well the goal was accomplished.
My favorites were the more monochromatic shots and, of course, the storm. Much I enjoy shooting wildlife professionally. For a personal challenge I will go out of my way to shoot storms. The west coast of Ireland is a favorite spot.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Condorlover, the Brough is indeed an ugly bike-- will definitely be a niche market. I suppose the Polaris Indian falls into Jay's argument of not being a real Indian as ownership and manufacturing have not been consistent under one unbroken company pedigree. Regardless, I feel Polaris did a very good job of updating the bike to appeal to the modern market, but still making an effort to stay true to the originals. It's a fine bike and may develop into the only competition for Harley. I liked my Speedmaster, too. It was air cooled, carbureted, 270 degree timing, etc. It had some updates, but you gotta keep up with the times.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Getting a bike company of the ground is a guaranteed way to lose money..."
Lord Hesketh would agree with you on that fact :wink:
The Brough Superior SS100 has to be the sexiest motorcycle ever designed. Wow, what I wouldn't give to own one of those beauties :puffy:
Warren, why not show us some of your favourite pictures?
Regards,
Jay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have owned at various times a Brough Superior 680 (terrible J.A.P engine unless it has the through bolt conversion) SS80 with rigid frame and girder not Castle forks - brilliant bike (MX engine) SS100 with B&D frame 2 of everything J.A.P engine - fab way to commit suicide. I might consider buying the new one if they would junk the radiator and do something about the exhaust system and handlebar layout.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
dsc_4765-132x150.jpg
An eagle with a sheep carcass.
I've posted these before along with a couple of others over the years. I am wont to post shots lest they be pirated.
black-driveway-150x148.jpg
And, one more. This was no work as he is stalking in my driveway.
The icon is simply a first attempt, a poor one, at the eagle shot. Sorry for the small size they are what came from "my album."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I've been nailed! And, really well too. When reading the above add the word "not" before "wont."
Thanks to aldecaker for the correction and I can't blame my blood-alcohol this time. It was just crappy proofing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Those are too small to be able to appreciate artistry. Why not just watermark images you think might get lifted? And at nominal sizes for the net, say 1200 px max a side, they won't have any printing value.

Status
Not open for further replies.