Breaking in New Pipe - Too Late to Switch to a Different Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
*Apologies if this has been covered in another thread*
I’m a brand new pipe smoker, I bought myself my first pipe a couple weeks ago (A lovely little Peterson System Standard 313). I researched some tobaccos before buying any and as I typically LOVE anything strong cherry flavored, I obviously bought a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon. At the advice of the guy behind the counter, I also got some general nondescript house blend aromatic. As it turns out, I’m not really enjoying either of these blends. I thought I would dig a light fruity sort of aromatic but they’re sharp tasting and I don’t feel satisfied after smoking a bowl.
As I do enjoy rich, dark cigars, I’m thinking of switching to something more like a Mac Baren HH Dark Fired or similar to see if those offer a more fulfilling smoke. So, to the crux of my post...
I’ve only smoked about a half dozen bowls ranging from 1/4 to 3/4 full, and I have no appreciable cake built up as of yet. Is it too late to switch to a completely different blend of tobacco? Will this switch from aromatic to darker burley type blends leave me in a no mans land and turn the flavors into a casserole of nonsense? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
You can switch at any time but there will be a transition period for same based on how their palate received the flavors. In your case I think you will be fine.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You'll love the ODF, I think.
There may be some mild influence for the first few bowls but it will become less and less as you smoke more.
There's no cake to remove and I wouldn't get into alcohol and salt stuff at this point.
If the cherry essence persists and irritates you, you can pursue those options but, I'm guessing it should not be necessary just yet.
And, welcome to the forum!
jay-roger.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Welcome to the Forum.
You can switch whenever, but like Jay said you'll get a little ghosting.
Btw, you started right with that 313.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Before I smoked a pipe, I always imagined those delicious-smelling aromatics would be my favorites. They are now my least favorite, and I find the plain-Jane "codger burley" is what I enjoy the most.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks very much for all the responses, glad to know I can switch no problem. Look forward to learning more about pipes on here. Cheers!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There's so much misinformation on the forums about breaking a pipe in. In general, one breaks a pipe in by smoking it. It's just that simple, and being so, the term itself should be dropped. You smoked a half-dozen bowls of the aromatic, so smoke a non-aro the same number to kill the ghost. As a rule briar does not burnout and doesn't need protecting. Concentrating on building a cake is a waste of time as regards protection, but most prefer the taste of a pipe when it's seen a good deal of service.
The forums provide a good deal of helpful information for the n00b, but a lot of it is myth propounded by its members. Take cake. We know the high temperatures achieved by burning tobacco, and we know it rests against briar and that wood burns. Thus come along the concepts of a gradual break-in and the importance of cake. But in the end know one really knows. So the talk starts and few question what has now become the evident truth.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
mtwaller: There are no hard and fast rules to the pipe. Do as you wish, as you learn, try whatever you find here that strikes your fancy. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you wish. Just muck around until you start getting a satisfactory experience more times than not. Then you can refine it until every bowl is satisfactory and some are even great.
I keep it fairly simple as I want to smoke and enjoy the pipe. It's a tool for me and not an inanimate object to be revered. Whatever fits your personality will work out fine.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Methinks this is troll.. What New Piper buys a Peterson?, And what new piper loves cherry to get the M&B guy to sell them Cult? and then switches to HH Dark Fired??? and then talks of aromatics to burley blends??????

Nov 21, 2016
The solution here is more pipes in the collection and more tins on the shelf!

And anything with Latakia in it will help too.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Not sure about being a troll. I think my first real pipe after a Grabow was a Peterson System. Also, looks like he did a bunch of research. I remember spending hours on this site years ago researching everything I could as I was struggling when I first started.
Anyway, thinking maybe a next good step would be a pouch or two of Carter Hill or Prince Albert. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is a really easy smoke. Then maybe jump to Old Dark Fired. (kind of a big jump if you ask me).
I just tried ODF a couple of months ago and Wow! Bought a pound soon after.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Might be a good idea to pick up an inexpensive cob or two for trying new tobaccos to learn what you like best before using a good briar for experimenting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some people with intense sensitivity really want and need to designate pipes for particular genres and even single blends, but these folks, though lucky in their sensory equipment, are few in number. Most of us just smoke what we like and change when we will whether breaking in a pipe or just smoking as usual. The only blends of concern for everyone are Lakelands aromatics. In your situation, I'd just smoke what you like and change when you will. Incidentally, you have the option of not building cake but simply scooping out ash and wiping out the bowl with paper towel or napkin, thus maintaining a good carbon layer and the diameter of the chamber; this works well for many of us, on Forums and off.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Might be a good idea to pick up an inexpensive cob or two for trying new tobaccos to learn what you like best before using a good briar for experimenting.
Really, really wished I would’ve done this when I first started. I got roped into all the great reviews and bought a bunch of Stanwells and Petersons without knowing what I was doing.
Missouri Meerschaum bag of seconds. 7 pipes for under $30. Absolutely perfect for trying different blends.

rynomart513

Lurker
Nov 26, 2018
ODF is my go to blend right now. I am also hoping to get a Peterson system for Christmas since I’ve never tried one. Congrats on a quality first pipe!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i tried to break in pipes, but always stop smoking before the bottom. those i tried to smoke to the bottom, i seem to torch the bottom of the bowl. so, i'm just loading and smoking. i do occasionally smoke only half or third of the bowl, when i don't want to smoke for an hour.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hey I really appreciate all of the feedback guys, it’s always good to get different opinions from folks who are knowledgeable on the topic at hand. And I’m definitely not a troll, just a new pipe smoker trying to find my way. I have a habit of obsessively researching things that pique my interest before I jump in, because I like to be reasonably well-informed and not get taken for a ride if I happen to wander into a B&M with some cash in my pocket. Anyways thanks for all the input! I’ve been happily hopping around between blends and finding ones I like and ones I don’t. Cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hopping around sounds good. If you are enjoying yourself, you've got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.