PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Hey fellow pipers i got a cheap 7 dollar pipe from my b&m and just started smoking the pipe recently.When i first started smoking the pipe it really just tasted like char and burnt tobacco.Not to impressed i carried on and continued to smoke a bowl or to a day and to my amusement after about a week it stoped tasting like char and i started really tasting the sweetness of the tobaccos and the notes as well.I started freaking out and fell in love in a instant.I continued to smoke the same pipe and tried different tobaccos and could taste all the greatness in the fine world of tobaccos.It is awsome and im hooked.Anyhow i have pinched up enough to purchase a dr.grabow bent pipe.Now im afraid to try it but of course i will use it.Just wondering if this is normal procedure for new pipes.I am in love with my only other pipe witch is a cheapo but man i can identify now with some of you folks and the love of pipes and how they build a characteristic with there owners.Aside from this being normal any tips on break period and things i can do as a begginer to make my pipes last longer.I do want to achieve the same experience as i did my first pipe.It is one i will never forget.Sorry for any mistakes i may have made posting wise.This is my first post.Oh yea before i forget if any of you can share with me your bonding experience with your favorite pipe that would be cool.Like why is that certain pipe special to you.Thanks again guys you are all awsome.God bless.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
kanaka,
I'm pretty new at all of this myself, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
I ALWAYS wait at least 24 hours before smoking the same briar pipe again...usually longer, now that I have a full rotation. When I first smoke a new pipe, I only pack it about 1/3 full for the first few smokes. Then I go 2/3 for a few. Finally, I load that bugger up. For me, this has worked well in developing a "cake" inside the bowl.
If you want to smoke the same pipe multiple times each day, I'd suggest a MM cob, or a meerschaum.
Hope this helps.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
There are a lot of theories on this (breaking in a pipe)and it's very simple. New pipe... load it up and smoke it. Pretty simple eh! As for resting a pipe the old theory is: smoke it as much as you wish each day, If you smoke three bowls from it in one day, then let it rest for three days, but I wouldn't get my shorts in bind over this if you only have a couple of pipes. As for cobs they do not need a break in period, but in my opinion they still can get a tad wet, as it were, and I also give them a rest.
The OP said that this is his first post? From what I see see this his 33rd post!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Rangerearthpig is absolutely correct about meerschaums. They really don't need breaking in and are fairly forgiving if used frequently. I have a couple I smoke all the time despite of owning more than I can count. I find that providing you run the old pipe cleaner through them and keep an eye out for build up in the bowl they will motor along happily. The same applies to corn cob pipes which I have never been a fan of strangely - just cannot seem to get to grip with the corn cob pipes.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I relate breaking pipes in to breaking in new upland hunting boots, (I do a lot of upland hunting and bird dog work). Some boots you can lace up and walk all day every day from the time they come out of the box and others I have to wear in the house for a few weeks until my bunions stop swelling and hurting and sometimes I have to take them back. Breaking in a new pipe can be just as easy or sometimes just as troublesome with the only difference being you can't return the pipe to get a refund and at best you can sell it as an estate. I don't do the half bowl break in that's often suggested but instead dry out whatever genre of tobacco I'm going to use the pipe for, initially, and smoke it one a day or once every other day until I see the telltale signs of a cake starting. Some pipes get broke in with my intentions for it being one type of tobacco only to discover it smokes much better with another, say English vs. Virginias.
It's great that you have "discovered" what so many of us hear rattle on and on about as it pertains to the bliss experienced with pipe smoking and as you progress through better grades of briar, your enlightenment will continue. Try a couple of USA cobs and use them to allow your briar to rest because IMO it's vitally important to let them dry out between sessions. Enjoy!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Oh yea before i forget if any of you can share with me your bonding experience with your favorite pipe that would be cool. Like why is that certain pipe special to you.
I actually bought my first pipe nearly 20 years before ever lighting it up. I did tons of research on the net and visited most of the tabacco shops around town before beginning to smoke my pipe.
I started by loading half bowls at first and resting my pipe for a few days between bowls. I paid a lot of attention to packing and smoking cadence, etc., but not anymore. If my liitle pipe's not rested and I feel like a smoke, I'll just stuff some baccy in the bowl and light'er on up!
My trusty little pipe is a Kings Cross Featherweight 110 A Blast. I have other more expensive pipes now, and I adore them, but this little pipe goes with me everywhere and I couldn´t care less if it is rested or not. It's a pipe made for smoking and if I have to replace her for going sour on me I will, but meanwhile she just keeps puffing on!
The one thing I pay most attention to now is the moisture of the tobacco; too moist burns hot and tastes disgusting, too dry, burns hot and quick with little flavor.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Thank you fellow pipers love all the info from everyone.Man i better get a couple cobs to smoke in between my new pipe. im finding that i at least smoke 2 bowls a day.I don't know if it's just me but im finding myself drifting off into the tobacco tin land reading and discovering all types of new tobaccos that i want to try.There's a lot of really great tobaccos out there that i can't wait to try.Hey phil67 thanks for the correction i meant to say that this was my first topic started.(LOL)shame on the mess.But i really do feel a great connection with everyone here and have the utmost respect for all who call this forum at pipesmagazine home.Thanks again fellow pipers.Feel free to keep it coming.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Some boots you can lace up and walk all day every day from the time they come out of the box and others I have to wear in the house for a few weeks until my bunions stop swelling and hurting and sometimes I have to take them back.

Good metaphor. I've had a few pairs of loggers that damn near killed me for the first few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.