PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcadriel

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Hey guys, I recently bought a new pipe and am in the process of breaking it in. I have found it hard to smoke all the way to the bottom. I only pack about 1/4 bowl. The draft hole in it seems a bit high, could that be a problem? Should I pack a bit more or... Any suggestions on what I can do?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
gcadriel... Frist let me say welcome aboard.
Seems to me that you have identified the culprit...

If the draft hole isn't in the very bottom and centered, that could be/probably is the issue.
In a case like this might I recommend pipe mud... cigar ash and saliva, in sufficient quanitity to raise the bottom of the pipe up to the draft hole level.
I speak not from personal experience... but, from information provided by our esteemed membership when similar questions have been posed.

Good post.

:puffy:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'd maybe try the air pocket or Harry method to load it. Rub out your blend and put a bit in your palm, turn your bowl over and rub it on top of the tobacco, sounds strange but it will load up the bowl leaving a small pocket of air at the bottom. When the bowl is filled just lightly press down so the tobacco is just below the rim. This is how I load everything but flakes. I think it might help you. If the draft hole is truly too high you may try opening it up slightly at the bottom, I recently did this with one of my pipes and its like an entirely different pipe. You can find it in the pipe repair sub-forum, "Fixing my Draw".

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When breaking in a new pipe I always fill it to the top and smoke away. I get a nice even cake that way. I have never burned out a pipe and I have never not got a nice even cake doing it this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.