Breaking in a pipe - is using mud a bad idea?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was just wondering. If you have a new non-carbonized bowl, i.e. pure wood inside. Would it make sense to make some pipe mud and smear on a thin layer to get the break-in process sped up?

Aug 14, 2012
I agree with herbindave, above. But if you want to fuss with it try some whiskey or brandy. Let it sit in the bowl for a few days, dry & smoke.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the advice everyone - I thought it would be an easy way to speed up the process, but I defer to greater minds!

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
The best way to build cake is to smoke it. If you want to add a little help for the first couple smokes, line the chamber walls with a 3:1 mixture of honey to water. Pack and smoke your pipe as usual. When your done, put a thumb over the chamber opening and shake the ash around. Empty the pipe and clean.
I would recommend doing this twice, with 3-4 bowls between the first and second round.
It won't add a thick layer of cake, but it will help prep the walls to build cake.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Worst idea ever, pipe mud is only for repairs, it should never be used to replace cake. Good thing you have a community to help you from making that mistake with a brand new pipe, otherwise it would cake really wierd. 8O

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I prolly wouldn't have tried it without checking - but I still had no idea how bad an idea that was.
Mucho respect to you guys! :worship:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Just fill it with your fav. baccy and smoke it. Just don't let it get too hot is all and you have no worries. enjoy

I agree. With or without cake, just smoke it slowly.

The cake will build itself and soon you will be wondering the best way to get rid of it.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Just fill it and smoke it as everyone says.I put a smear of honey in first time but I don't really think that it makes any difference,just an old habit of mine.
Tom

whimsyt

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2012
Greater Boston
As has been said above, just make sure you smoke it slowly. Don't let it get too hot. Baby it a bit for the first several bowls. Don't ask me how I know this. :lol: And if it's a heavily varnished finished, take this advice times 10.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
This is not authorized by the National Council of Pipe Smokers ( Fake) but I rub a thin layer of molasses in the virgin, or near virgin bowl. The idea being stuff sticks to the side of the bowl. No No to any idea of pipe mud. Is pipe mud marketed?? Our mud contains the finest Cohiba and Perdomo Ash. :wink: :?

Status
Not open for further replies.