PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
giphy.gif
Not a pleasant smoke at all. The woody flavor does not blend well with this world-famous blend. I should have used my trusted CH. Lesson learned!
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
That's a good tip! I'm never sure what to smoke in a fresh pipe. I normally try to look for something that smokes fairly cool and isn't too strongly flavoured.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't put to much thought into what tobacco I'm going to smoke during the break in period of a new pipe. I just know that the first several bowls are not going to taste the same as the tobacco normally does. I try not to use my go to blends for this as I don't want to waste several nice bowls of some of my favorite baccy on a smoke I know isn't going to be that great at first.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Does a pre-carbonated bowl help with the initial break in? Is that something I should look for when choosing a new pipe?

I am currently breaking in a new bare bowl pipe with Star of the East. I kind of like the briar taste working with a latakia. But, I love that new briar pipe taste regardless. I feel like it is helping me bond with the pipe, getting it its aroma worked into my DNA. It actually keeps fueling my PAD. Sure, I enjoy my well broke in pipes, but I also crave the breaking in process of a new pipe... as long at the briar taste good. Bad tasting briar gets put into the drawer, most likely making it's way to oblivion.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I've used Westminser in both coated and uncoated new pipes before, and it worked well. As @Cosmic says, the Latakia and the briar can go well. Nightcap on this pipe was a disaster of biblical proportions. I blame the Perique.
I returned to the pipe a few hours later with Carter Hall. No surprises there.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I tried the very same thing when dedicating a pipe to English blends. It seemed like a long process to break a pipe in using just Lat blends

When I go to break in a pipe, despite what genre that I am dedicating it to, I just smoke it for a few days straight, using the same pipe all day. It doesn't "need" to dry, because their no cake full of moisture, and the cake builds so much faster when you chain smoke it. I think little bit of moisture that does occur helps the cake process.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
I have tried both to break in a pipe with and without pre-carbonated bowl.

I have to say it makes a great difference. The pre-carbonated bowl takes much better, i.e. you taste way less the wood.

In practice pre-carbonated bowls reduce a lot the time you need to make the pipe performing best.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hey, leadtungstate! We just had a scandal with padding post counts! 14 since 2014? Jeesh...give it a break already!
Ah, just kidding. I agree with pre-carb taking cake better than bare wood, but the taste of most of those pre-carbs is just nasty.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Unlikely, I know the blend well and it didn't happen again with Carter Hall. I could tell from the first puff the flavor was not good.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
IMHO if a blend does not work out try something in a quite different cut. The cut and texture of tobacco matter much more than contents as for matching a certain pipe.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've got a bunch of pipes I've had since the early 70s still going strong. Two things I've never done is break in a pipe or smoke the last 3rd of a bowl. Pipesmoking is not rocket science. Fill the damn thing, light it, smoke it, dump it, rinse and repeat. Ok, don't rinse ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.