PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I am just getting around to breaking in A Brigham Presidential Muskoka that I purchased last February. I am trying to break it in slowly starting at the bottom and slowly moving higher and higher in the bowl. The only problem I am running into is I worry about charring the higher parts of the bowl while trying to get to the tobacco at the bottom of the deep chamber.
Any tips or suggestions?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I always smoke a full bowl of something that I can smoke nice and slow and not get tired of. If you don't finish one or two bowls it won't make it uneven.

dsollars

Lurker
Mar 25, 2014
When I get a new pipe, briar or cob, Carter Hall is always what goes in first. Smokes all the way down, and leaves just enough carbon to coat things nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Light it with a match. Go slow. I think after two or three, you can fill it up nearly full but not to the brim.

I have broken in three huge chimneys and quite a few stacks. And, in any pipe, I do nothing more than load it up and smoke it like I will smoke it from there on out. I'm not sure at all why someone would suffer through a whole bowl of Carter hall just to smoke something else in it latter, but hats off for being a dedicated pipe breaker in-er.
I love the taste of the first bowl in a new pipe. It's like bonding with the briar aroma, getting it all set in my DNA.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Thank you all for the tips, I may have been overestimating the possible harm. Cosmic you are correct, the briar taste in a new pipe is unique and enjoyable. I am loving this pipe and part of that may be the taste of the briar itself.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Thats part of the reason I smoke half then full. I get that taste twice
Also I like to smoke at least the first few bowls all the way down. After that I can smoke to the bottom or just stop when I want. I have burned out one bowl in 40 years. It was a cheap basket pipe.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I love the taste of the first bowl in a new pipe.
I am just the opposite, I can't stand breaking in new pipes. Be it coated or uncoated. Hate the smell and taste of wood and coatings.

Status
Not open for further replies.