Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlgillen

Lurker
Dec 8, 2009
I purchased a new Erik Nording pipe awhile back and just starting breaking it in tonight. I smoked about a half a bowl with some burly. After I finished I ran a pipe cleaner through it and WOW Lots of stain! Is this normal for the fist smoke ? I have broken in many new pipes in my time and this is the first time this has happened to me. Anyone else have this experience? is it common? Recommendations?
Thanks,

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my four (!) Christmas pipes was a Nording autograph, a gift from one of my major pipe friends and his wife. (The other three were from my wife.) The autograph pipe has just a few stain highlights on the outside of the bowl, so no stain in the airway. My other Nording is an Eriksen (his low end pipes) and this also had no stain in the airway. I did have this problem with a Parker, a nifty cherrywood poker. It took about a dozen smokes to really clear the way, which was an annoyance, but the pipe is good.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That looks like a awful lot of stain. I'd use high proof alcohol on the pipe cleaners to get rid of that. Otherwise, it's a lovely pipe and I'm sure it will be a great smoker. Good luck with it.

Jan 8, 2013
8O Wow, you aren't kidding! I don't think I've heard of this ever being an issue with Nordings. I have to imagine that would lessen after a few smokes though. Being a Nording, it should be a great smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.