PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Is it beast to pull your pipe apart to clean or leave as one piece? I would be inclined to keep in one piece then a strong permanent seal will form wouldn't it? constant pulling apart wouldn't that eventually wear the to pieces and lead to a loose joint? i haven't got the years of pipe smoking experience yet to find out myself!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The general rule is to only pull it apart when you need to in order to clean it, if you can easily clean your pipe without doing that, then clean it whole. If the stem is difficult to remove, I would sand the part that goes into the pipe down until it is snug, but not difficult to turn or remove. Never remove the stem when your pipe is still warm from smoking.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
After letting my pipe cool to rom temp, I pull the stem from the pipe and clean both with a pipe cleaner. Every 3 or so smokes of that particular pipe gets alcohol soaked pipe cleaners run through it until they come out clean. I've never had an issue with the stem becoming too loose from cleaning.
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There is a difference between a thorough cleaning, (apart, alcohol, ream the cake, etc.) and the normal after the smoke screwing a paper towel into the bowl to smooth the cake and remove excess moisture, and running a pipe cleaner through the stem to remove moisture and clear the draft hole.
However; I don't believe it to be a particularly good thing to create a "strong permanent seal".

There could be taste/souring problems not to mention the possibility of breaking the tenon when you discover that the pipe really needs a good cleaning.
As long as you only remove the stem from the pipe when the pipe is cool/rested you should never have any problem with the stem becoming loose even after years. (That's not to say that it won't happen but with care it shouldn't.)
Just my 2 cents.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
This subject is exactly why I am leaning heavily towards only having "army" mounts or Peterson System pipes. I wait a couple minutes and then break them down and clean them after every smoke.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My routine is to break them apart every two or three smokes to clean thoroughly. Now that I'm smoking aromatics more, sometimes I'll do it after each smoke, waiting until the next day of course so the pipe is fully cooled down.
I've only ever had two stems loosen up on me to the point that it became an issue, both of which easily corrected.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya, if you can run a cleaner tru to the bowl, why take it apart after each smoke? It is redundant. Only take apart after every 3-5 smokes for a better cleaning. Unless you are into filtered pipes, then you should really replace the filter before each smoke for the best results.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Kabong30 that Military Bit is serendipity.
The "Military Bit" is design to be taken apart at a moments notice and shoved in a pocket.

I would recommend that you dry the "well" with a paper-towel after every smoke.

I have had a couple (in the past) and they can go sour in no time.

Many will never go sour, but, my luck wasn't so great.
Just keep the "well" dry... That's the best advice I can offer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I let my pipe cool down then break it apart and use numerous pipe cleaners to get it as clean as possible. Every 3-5 smoke I will clean with alcohol. I have never had a problem with a pipe tenon getting damaged.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I have a cleaning sickness I always break down my pipes when I smoke them after they cool. I also never smoke more than three bowls without a alcohol cleaning.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Although I only have a few briars, I clean them completely after every smoke. I haven't noticed any ill effects from taking the pipes apart after each use.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
What type of alcohol works best? I think I have read that someone used pure grain but I haven't seen or purchased any of that since my college days. Also do you all just soak the pipe cleaner in the alcohol, then run it through the pipe, or is it something more involved?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
To each his own, but I almost never disassemble my pipes. I never have souring issues because I don't smoke arrows. I do twist my stems a bit once in a while, so like Lawrence said, they don't become 'stuck'. But I have pipes that I've been smoking for close to 40 years that have only been broken down 4 or 5 times. The folks that are OCD about complete cleaning after every smoke may be cringing and thinking my pipes are a mess. But they aren't at all.... you've seen my pipes.

I just run pipe cleaners through after every smoke and leave it at that. I use 'Bee Pipe Sweetener' or 'Pipemasters Clean and Cure' every once in a while. (Not in a meer. Both are alcohol based).
(A huge bottle of Clean and Cure is great when your stuck in a country like Saudi Arabia where there is no alcohol! It's palatable in coffee.)

Status
Not open for further replies.