PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
What kind of Virginias fall into the sweet bready/malty category? I like that flavor of Capstan Blue. Obviously Capstan is unique and stands alone- but anything even in that spectrum? I've heard mention that the new Dunhill Royal Yacht might fit the bill.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I find McClelland 5100 Red Cake is "bready". Not sure about malty. It is a red Virginia. I plan to try Wessex Red Virginia flake to see if it is similar.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Royal Yacht is, to me, a Burley-lover's Virginia -- lot's of body; and yes, it has a somewhat bread-like character,

which leads me to believe there is a generous portion of red Va in the mix. H&H's Capitol Stairs is described as having

a French toast taste/aroma -- and I can see that. It's got a touch of deertongue in it to pull-off that feat.
To answer your initial question, red Va has the sweet bready quality.
Malty? Anni Kake and NYPC Bowling Green.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
My every day all day smoke, Ennerdale Flake tastes and smells just like Christmas fruit cake to me. Love it, but I don't think this is what you're necessarily looking for.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well Rothnh, I had always written Honeydew off- assuming it was an Aro with a honeydew flavor which sounded terrible. I'm going to go take a fresh look.
Chris

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You know I looked long and hard at that Reiner. Any experience with the McC Matured Virginia? Looking at #27 for the Red V.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Pretty much anything with a decent amount of red Virginia will deliver that flavor. I use reds in a lot of my blends because they're not overly sweet.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.