PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
A while back, I sent one of my old (but good smoking) pipes to a new piper in Brazil. He was having terrible luck getting a pipe and only had drug store pipes to choose from. I think the pipe was an Edwards but it had no such markings and it smoked well. I had recently scored a bunch of cool estate pipes on the bay so I said what the hell and sent him the pipe, a tamper and a pack of Dill's cleaners.
Last night I came home to a package from Brazil! It had 2 local OTC tobaccos in it! Pipers are great!
FB_IMG_13570198507494725_zpsd2e6847d.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I tried the Finamore tonight. Someone's tires got slashed, so I stuffed my pipe, put on my pea coat and went outside to play not-so-great detective.
Wilder Finamore Mixture is a rough-cut mix of Burley, Gold Cavendish and Yellow VA. It has a topping of vanilla and rum and in the pack it is just moist and not goopy at all! Ready to smoke straight out of the pouch. Does not stick together but is nice and springy.
In the pouch note, I would swear there is grape, but no such flavor exists in the smoke. In fact, it smokes more like a nice VA/Bur mix than an aromatic and I guess the grape/wine smell in the pouch may just be the Cav and VA doing their thing. It's mild and a not-so-aro aro, which I think is a good thing.
Smokes very smooth and dry for an OTC with plenty of spice from the VA, nuttiness from the Burley (but not acrid) and plenty of Cavendish smoothness. I could see this being a cheap all-day smoke for the Burley lovers in the crowd, who like something mild and palatable with a pleasant room note.
Zanthal mentioned cigars and the Burley does give it a cigar-ish quality at times.
The Great Detective would like it as it's dry, cheap and has enough nicotine to get your hear moving. Not overpowering in the nicotine department, though.
Brazil does not like foreign tobacco coming into their country, so from what I am told the choices are quite limited for pipers. Good to know there is something decent to smoke there, though. If I went to Brazil, I wouldn't hesitate to score a few pouches of this stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.