PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Tried a couple of new techniques on this one- a Brandy with black bamboo and antique ivory. Used a full length carbon fiber tenon through the bamboo. Thanks to a tip from Bruce Weaver (which I think originally came from Adam Davidson, I faced off everything on pin gauges(undercutting them slightly) and then completed the glueup while the bowl was still checked on the lathe. I held the tail of the tenon in a rotating tailstock to do the final facing on the bamboo closest to the stem. That seems to really help the final fit of the stem to the shank...

14ctw1h.jpg

nls6di.jpg

fml8ue.jpg

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Beautiful work, Zack. Do you mind posting the specs or is that one going to be posted on your site?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@Johnnyreb... That one came in at 5.1" long, 1.7" tall. Chamber .72" wide and 1.38" deep. Weight is 32 grams...Thanks for looking...:)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great looking pipe. All the elements go together quite nicely. :puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Beautiful Zack ! I love the Ivory rings,much nicer than the usual black rings seen on bamboo.
I faced off everything on pin gauges(undercutting them slightly) and then completed the glueup while the bowl was still checked on the lathe. I held the tail of the tenon in a rotating tailstock to do the final facing on the bamboo closest to the stem. That seems to really help the final fit of the stem to the shank...
Reverse tenon? In a rotating (live) tailstock chuck or live center?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Reverse tenon? In a rotating (live) tailstock chuck or live center?

It's a live tail stock chuck- I leave the tenon long and the trim to final length so there are no chuck marks on the tenon

Status
Not open for further replies.