PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2013
Kind of a funny story on how I got into this... But since I did I got a couple quick questions. I've heard a lot about pressed tobaccos and brick tobaccos, but the captain black tobacco I have is in a bag, not pressed at all, should I be doing more than pinching and packing? Second question is, what kind of pipe do I have? I'm sure it's nothing fancy but I don't know what materials it's made from? The box it came in says nirvana pipes on it but I can't seem to find any website or anything.
pds9.jpg
0cu5.jpg

Oct 12, 2013
Thanks Roth,

I knew the photo size would come up haha, posted from my phone so it was a bit tricky. I won a bet with my girlfriend and Iet her pick it all out so I had no say in the tobacco selection. Or pipe for that matter. I assume once I get the basics/hooked I'll get more into brands and such. Thanks again for the info.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Welcome dj!
Welcome to the "brotherhood" & the forum. There are many here that will never steer you wrong & will in fact bend over backwards to help you.
To me (& google-fu), that looks like it's probably a chinese pipe of made of mystery wood. A perfectly fine tool to discover if this pipe smoking malarkey is for you! If you paid $10-20 then I'd say it probably is...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. As roth points out, cobs are perfect tools for trying new blends and perfecting your packing and lighting techniques. They are very forgiving pipes, sort of like the Timex watches of pipedom. They take a licking and keep on ticking.

As for tobacco choices, all I can say is spend a lot of time on this forum for tips. The review section is a good primer and www.tobaccoreviews.com is another source of knowledge.

Enjoy your time here and don't be shy about asking questions. It gives us old timers something to do.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Another welcome to the forum and agree with roth's suggestion of the cob grab bag. :)
As far as your photo size goes, either try hosting pictures on photobucket and editing the size before or after you host them, or just alter the picture settings on your phone next time you want to post a photo here.

Oct 12, 2013
Thanks for the input gentleman. I'm sure I'll develop more questions the deeper I plummet into pipe smoking. As for now I'll grab some cobs and experiment from there.

rescue11

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
hi, all .

thanks for this discussion . but the scale of the picture has to be re size. might be from forum's admin or component.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
DJ
Welcome to the forum.
An easy way to get greats amount of info is to use the search feature on the site. It will bring up tons of info on techniques of pipe smoking.
Also check out the videos on the left section bottom of the openning page. They are very helpful.
Good luck and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.