PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironlungs9

Lurker
May 13, 2013
Hey, it’s nice to meet everyone I’m Justin. I thought I would introduce myself. I am brand spankin new to the pipe smoking world/community. I’m mature yet young for a brand new pipe smoker, College student =P. I hope everyone is doing well tonight. It is sort of overwhelming with the vast amount of information I can learn about pipes and pipe tobacco as well as cleaning pipes and what not. I’m not sure of where to begin but I will say that I love sweet tasting tobacco and aroma’s, smooth yet more of a full flavored. To start off, I will say that I love to death Turkish tobacco it’s amazing I think personally. Even though it is not pipe tobacco when I had my first Camel Turkish Royal I bummed from a friend I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The smell, taste, full flavored, yet smoothness are what I truly love about it. I just thought I would let the community know so it helps me with possibly future purchases from pipesandcigars.com. I am a total newbie and just winged it last night I was not sure of what type of pipe tobacco to purchase. I don’t really have time to sit down for hours and read online and reviews. I went ahead and bought last night McClelland Frog Morton’s Cellar and Frog Morton on the Bayou due to the popularity and how it is highly recommended from videos on YouTube and some research on the internet I did.

A good friend smokes rolled cigarettes and he had some Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam so he gave me a little bit. I’m somewhat sad today because I bought my first pipe a $7.50 Corn Cob basic pipe from my local smoke shop. On the first tobacco bowl the side of the Corn Cob Pipe the Bowl area turned black and as well another area of the bowl had a hole in its side. After the second tobacco bowl it went up in flames =/ =( it fell apart and had to put it under my hose in water. It’s somewhat discouraging with my first pipe and especially trying to light tobacco outside it can be hard and a challenge with matches haha. I guess I will not be purchasing from that tobacco shop again. I went ahead and got some basic BJ Long 80’s pipe cleaners and a pipe tool accessory to push down the ash. I purchased this today at the smoke shop as well. I hope to hear back from everyone soon god bless!

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
You may have been the victim of a Chinese corn cob. I have never had that result with a Missouri meerschaum. If you like the Peter stockeybe you can blend in with pipe tobaccos.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
welcome Iron. Dont let this discourage you from cobs Missouri Meers will work just fine.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I'm not a big aro smoker, but happen to be smoking one now. Autumn evening by Cornell and diehl. Definitely a full bodied aro. The red Virginia leaf lends to the body with the maple flavor as a welcomed side note. I like it. Give it a shot.

ironlungs9

Lurker
May 13, 2013
I guess its just a lesson learned and knowledge acquired! From Long Island New York by the way.

ironlungs9

Lurker
May 13, 2013
I purchased a few mason jars at a local Walmart by the way. I plan on using them to store pipe tobacco.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since you mentioned PipesAndCigars.com, take a look at their Corn In The USA Sampler. It is rated 4.8 out of 5 by an amazing 34 reviewers. I'm not much of a cob guy myself, but Missouri Meerschaum is the way to go. Also check out Hearth & Home Caramel Apple Pie, which should appeal to your sweet tooth. BTW, PipesAndCigars has a sale on the entire H&H Signature Blend tobacco series.

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2263_73016722

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
Hello and welcome to the forums. As you are already seeing, everyone here is friendly and more than willing to help. My advice to you is try whatever tickles your fancy and if you don't like it, try it again later. When I first started out, I didn't like burley blends. Now I enjoy a good burley in a cob from time to time. Not only do tastes change, but as your packing and smoking techniques improve, you will discover more and different flavors from blends. A large part of the fun in this hobby is trying new things and experimenting with different tobaccos, pipes, packing methods, even pairing different teas, coffees and other drinks. If you have any questions, everyone here is more than willing to help.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. Sorry pipe smoking went up in smoke, but when you get a few Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes, you'll be

set for years of sampling whatever tobacco you choose. Hang around Forums for a few weeks and you'll get scores or

hundreds of suggestions on tobaccos to try and pipes you might buy. Visit the sponsors sites, and you'll be able to

buy most of whatever fits your budget.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome Iron (and Pete) - good to see you here. I think you've gotten enough good advice already. Keep hanging around, feel free to share your experiences and how it's going.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome aboard Ironlungs & Pete.
Hope your time here is enjoyable and look forward to seeing and hearing about your adventures in this hobby we all share.
Best,
-- Pat

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Try Smokingpipes.com, they have good prices on MMs and a great selection of bulk tobacco, shipping is reasonable. In their bulk section try Lane Ltd 1Q, smoked it for years as Tinder Box Wilshire.
When you just want a good MM, no tobacco, try aristocob.com - great service, reasonable prices.
Welcome, you couldn't find a better group for sharing information.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Welcome to the fraternity of pipe smokers. I started in college and then took a 30 year break. I've return and feel like a newbie. Some of the instincts came back quickly and the horrifying experience with Cherry Blend and tongue bit was not lost on me. Sounds like you getting good advice and starting with Morton is a whole lot better than I had for the first few years of smoking. Don't get discourage, don't give up. Ask for advice, write and read, it will be a joy for you.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome Justin, get some good cobs and the blends you purchased and you will be set. Decent Italian briars are cheap on EBay, VikingClubPipes.com, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.