PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I picked up the bowl of this Dr. Grabow Starfire at a local antique store. I paid 3 bucks for the bowl which I think was good since it had never been smoked and was in like new condition. I sent it to the factory for a new stem and now I have a brand new vintage Starfire. Petes03 said he had his eye on this bowl so I am glad I grabbed it before he did.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Dr Grabow, Kaywoodie, Willard - all under-rated and most don't show them off, good for you. You got a great deal, enjoy in good health.

Aug 1, 2012
Nice looking rack of Grabows.
Dr Grabow, Kaywoodie, Willard - all under-rated
To a point I'll agree and I have to add Medico to your list. Had a couple of Italian Kaywoodies and they were some of my least favorite pipes. Never had a Grabow that I liked the look of enough to keep but I'm sure that will happen. The rest of the Kaywoodies and my Willard are all really nice burners.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I am trying to collect all of the classic American brands, LHS, Kaywoodie, Marxman, Mastercraft, Dr. Grabow, etc.. Most of the other brands are harder to come by. I have some of each but Dr. Grabows are a lot easier to find.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I like Grabows to a certain extent. They smoke fine, usually, but; some of their stems can be pretty thick- at least the new ones.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I definelty agree with them being underrated. Not sure if the older pipes and any different in terms of quality as the new ones. I have a bunch of old Grabows made from the late 60's and they smoke great. I especially love the Starfire line. But Grabows in general are great pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I only have the one Royalton bulldog, but it's a great pipe. Unlike many, I usually smoke it with a filter, one

of my two filter pipes. It has great proportion and balance, and the shaping on the bowl looks hand-crafted,

which to some extent it is. I have several old U.S. "machine" pipes -- a Kaywoodie Ruff-Tone and a Saxon;

and a Yello-Bole. So far they seem well above their price level. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.