PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
SO excited just got a huge bag of 11 great looking smoke able seconds from Missouri Meerschaum. I even got the sample pack of their tobacco but I had a question about the pipe.

Most of them smell like varnish is this normal should I not smoke these for a wile and let them breath ?

i'm dying to test run a few of these beauties.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
if there's varnish inside the bowl, you may want to lightly sand it off...otherwise you're good to go.

also, sometimes there's some splinters on the shank inside that could be removed or burned.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
sometimes there's some splinters on the shank inside that could be removed or burned
I have noticed that. I remove what I can easily dislodge and figure the balance will burn-off.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
cool thanks guys im going to sand 3 of them and let them sit for 24 hours in front of a fan tonight oh and one wasn't finished at all just raw and I loved it I tried some ready rub in it for the first time I like it a lot. about the splinters I removed what I could and burned the rest a little they look great now.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
When I started I also got the bag of pipes. The smell goes and they are all usable and some are really nice. I consider the seconds a good value, especially for starting out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of them, maybe all of them, will smoke well and last for years. They may well be some of the best smoking pipes you'll ever own. Someone said they're cheap so you don't have to worry about losing them. But once you have them among your favorites, you may not feel that way.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just smoked through a few bowls and after about 5 bowls the smell is gone, it gives kind of a plastic taste to the tobacco but wasn't making me retch or anything.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
I sanded the inside of the bowl either way there were a few totally un finished so I smoked a bowl out of each of those it was great one bowl of ERR and that was very nice, and some Peter st. Peaches and Crème in the country gentlemen that was included in the bag smoked so well im looking forward to testing a few more tobaccos out of these I take it slow bc I normally only smoke a pipe once or maybe 2x a month but I want to find 2 or three tobaccos I really enjoy and stick with those. so far these pipes have been great nice dry cool smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.