Tags:   
[sticky]

Boycott List

(118 posts)
  1. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I boycott a company for one small thing I don't like, then I would have no where to shop. Some things do merit boycotting but not going to a company because they won't let you carry a gun into their stores or hire smokers? Too little of a detail for me IMHO.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

^
    The carry thing is important to me and I avoid businesses that don't respect my rights. It's their right to not allow it, don't get me wrong, I simply choose not to give them money.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's why I put IMHO. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours kabong30.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

I wasn't trying to be argumentative.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know I wasn't either. I was just letting you know I wasn't trying to be a troll or anything. I mean I respect everyone's opinion on here.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

It's all hugs, brah!

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha cool beans.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

It took Comcast less than 48 hours to sell my new phone number to every home security company in the Houston area . As we do not need to use the land line phone we unplugged it . Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. billinsfl

billinsfl

Login to Send PM

I will only stay at a Marriott if I have to and sent them an e-mail explaining why they are no longer my first choice. I do not carry concealed but I will not patronize an establishment that says I can not; that runs pretty deep with me too.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have stayed at the Marriot many times. True i have to get a Balcony room. And they say they will charge extra if the room smells like smoke. The most have a smoking area around the pool...at least I can get a good view while i smoke my pipe.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

I've never actually seen an example of where boycotting by small groups had any real effect. I'm currently following the chick-fil-a case which is more noticed than pipe-smoking incidents. I expect that one to fade away soon.
    Commercial establishments merely react to the masses. The root cause being public opinion against smoking of any kind (sparked by fear/hysteria) and is apparently a runaway train. We pipers will each need to adjust to this sign-of-the-times descrimination. We already adjusted to the loss of pipe tobacco availability at local drug stores by going to the internet. A more worthwhile endeavor would be to participate in appealing legislation.
    While I respect anyone's right to boycott, I compare it to kicking an elephant in the leg. I can't tell if my opinion is wisdom, or resignation...you decide.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Just like the Olympics back in 1980, and 30 years later the Sheeple have forgotten what was such an important historical event for us. Minimal participation in boycotts are rather pointless with no effects.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. unixhelp

unixhelp

Login to Send PM

The problem with some boycotts is sometimes they create silent support for the companies your trying to boycott....personally I would rather have my family stay in a hotel where I don't have to worry about a dirty harry wannabee wandering the halls (i'm not suggesting that this is anyone here, just that there are alot of nuts out there).....but I wouldn't give my business to a company that discriminates against smokers in their hiring policy

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Democracy is about the majority of people deciding what's going on.

The problem here is that the minority is making the call because they have the loudest voices and know who to pay off.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Hobie I find that it only takes 10 years for the sheeple to lose their memory now. Blows my mind sometimes.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This should simply be a list of companies who does not hire tobacco users, or that fires them for doing it. Plain and simple, if you start adding stipulations upon it, we end up making the number of companies too big to keep track of or reasonabley boycott. Keep it simple.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What are your guys' opinions on workers that smoke in restaurants? I personally think it is kind of gross. Am I wrong to think that?

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

That's nothing. Some of the old school embalmers didn't wear gloves and would actually rest their cigarette on the embalming table and occasionally puff while they work! OSHA regulations did away with that, but people used to do it back in the day.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah but at that point baron you are already dead lol.

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipenerd

Login to Send PM

Needing to carry a pad and paper with me with all of these names written on it! Thanks, all

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. phoenix

phoenix

Login to Send PM

mjtannen---I don't think that is the best idea. We are supposed to be gentlemen. Sure, I agree with you on an initial level...I just don't think it's wise. What I do is wear a shirt with a breast pocket and put my still smoldering pipe in there when I go into places. The pipe is visible, but I wouldn't just keep it in my mouth even if it weren't lit. That would just make me out to be an inconsiderate asshole, which is one thing we surely don't want. But I DO have it lit constantly while out in public, hoping to turn the cigarette smokers into pipers. Just my opinion.

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seattle - they hate smokers! 25 foot "no smoke" zone around every business entrance. That puts you in the middle of the street which is full of people who can't drive.

If you are in a park, every person there feels the need to lecture you on the evils of tobacco, then they lecture you on using a car, eating red meat, and urge you to use pot for a stress reducer.

Sometimes you are lucky enough to be there during the anarchist riots, and the gay parade full of naked old men (I may never get that image out of my mind - ugh!).

It use to be such a great place - lots of neat old shops, the waterfront, the center, and the great restaurants. I really miss what use to be.

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's something just too, too ironic. My State Farm Agent is precisely, locked-in-arm next door to my B&M!!

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 6 years ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with some of these boycottes, not others. Some I support for reasons other than those cited. But it is always
    wise to vote with your pocketbook. But you have to let the offending company or agency know what you are doing.
    A small vocal group will have far more influence than a large group of people who simply withhold their business, since
    that will just be seen as a marketing trend unrelated to the problem being protested. Let 'em know. Be polite and
    specific. If you rant, they'll just toss it in the crank mail file. Be brief but state the whole case, one page maximum.

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As Bill O'Reilly says, "I'm a simple kind of guy."

I do business with companies that I like, with people that I like, those who proudly provide a good product, great service, and a good value.

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suggest a boycott of any company that makes Pickled Pig's Feet. Yuck!

Pipestud

Pipestud
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

A Southern tavern/bar staple. Yee Haw!

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. planetscott

planetscott

Login to Send PM

Sweetwater Brewing in Atlanta. They treated my homebrew club horribly. They didn't have to, in fact they should have treated us like great, repeat customers that would have helped promote their product. They need our help because they brew a mediocre beer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Noted. Thanks PS.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, lots of boycotts and non-boycottes here. I think a personal boycott needs a written back-up to the
    company explaining what you're doing and why, not angry but hard-nosed and clear. If you can organize
    a group effort, and people will draft individual wording, so much the better. Some of these places are
    run by regular Joes and Janes who want to do right (while they are making piles of money). But they need
    to know where they and potential customers part ways. And you probably have to write at least once a year,
    so they remember you and your message.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any movie by Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, or John Travolta.

Why? Because they don't know how to shut their stupid pie holes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. starcat

starcat

Login to Send PM

I will never buy anything from Walmart ever.
    Also there needs to be an acute increase in awareness about the side effects of corporatism in all its expressions.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

dixcreek

Login to Send PM

It is great to be able to express our dislike of a companies policies by staging a personal boycott against them. It is also a wonderful thing to be able to try and influence others to do the same. Even though opinions are varied and different they seem to be worked out in an amiable manner. Maybe we should enlist some of our congressmen to join us in this endeavor. they are the entity that I wish to boycott.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If we all were able to pay for our own health care life would be much easier for us pipe smokers, but that's the leash that's being used to keep us in line. The problem is we have delegated so much of the responsibility of our lives to government agencies, insurance companies and employers so that a lot of choices we used to make for ourselves are now being made by others. If I saw this trend decreasing I'd be much more optimistic. In fact, as government grows more powerful the needs and wants of the individual are becoming less of a concern. We are quickly entering a new age of Puritanism and collectivism. No amount of boycotting is going to stop it. Maybe some intelligent voting, but not boycotting. I mean you gotta do what you gotta do, but don't expect the government or any of these huge companies to respect your individuality.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

dixcreek

Login to Send PM

Change comes from the response of the masses, If enough people quit using a Brand of soap there will no longer be a need for it. While this is a slow death process it still works to some degree. As far as the government goes it is the voters and their own sense of feeling that they are entitled to the what ever they want at the expense of the taxpayer, who in many cases are the voters as well. Kinda like a dog chasing it's tail! We need to go back to the premise of "The Government that governs least governs best". Instead we are stuck with the old story where Moses told the tribes to load up your ass and hop on your camel we are heading to the promised land. Centuries later FDR told was heard to say sit on your ass and light up a camel, this is the promised land. We have been in a downward spiral every since!

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Commercial establishments merely react to the masses. The root cause being public opinion against smoking of any kind (sparked by fear/hysteria) and is apparently a runaway train.

From my experience, you're correct. Where do I sign up to boycott fear of public opinion?

Also, boycott Pipe Smokers Forum -- people without honor.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm boycotting this thread!

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure Canada belongs on this list.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Impressed—in a bad way— how many angry posts there were five years ago! And a few nut jobs, too. Present company excepted.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  41. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was in Spokane last weekend in the crappiest part of downtown and saw signs that said, "No smoking with 25 feet buildings". That would have put me right in the middle of the street.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's interesting to see all the forum members that posted in this thread that have gone AWOL.

I don't expect anything to change if I boycott something, but I do boycott certain things for my own reasons.

Google Bayer/AIDS

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  43. juanruiz

juanruiz

Login to Send PM

A few years ago I stayed at the Omni in Chicago. The only smoking room they had available was...666. Coincidence?

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I boycott a few places for reasons other than tobacco. I think private companies have a right to make their own rules for employment etc. What crosses the line is when government dictates how/who employees must hire, or how they should run their business (smoke free). That's what I have a problem with.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What crosses the line is when government dictates how/who employees must hire, or how they should run their business (smoke free).

One seems to lead to another. Court of public opinion.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. mikeklumpp

mikeklumpp

Login to Send PM

airports in Manila, Tokyo and Hong Kong all offer smoking rooms and smoking areas and are quite friendly - there are still some civilized places in the world

Esse Quam Videri - to be rather than to seem
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

airports in Manila, Tokyo and Hong Kong all offer smoking rooms and smoking areas and are quite friendly - there are still some civilized places in the world

Seoul as well. By the way you should see the smoking rooms in Moscow airport, comfortable as a cigar lounge.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally boycott someone named R*ch.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   the85boro, mikey517, alaskanpiper, cfreud, burleyboy, georged, haparnold, pepesdad1, lawdawg