PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well, got on my eyes on one French made (St Claude Fr)brand new pipe which I may consider buying when my financial situation allows($70)nevertheless I feel a bit apprehensive because this pipe,while the grain itself is pretty nice,and the chamber comes without any carbon precoatings)but the bowl has this high gloss lacquier finish,now I wonder if I better off staying away from pipes with glossy finishes,In past I had experimented pipes with glossy varnish finishes tend to heat a bit more than standard bowls do ,and the lacquer itself is something prone to bubbling if and when pipe gets hot,been doing this road before,Thanks for the recommendations, I will keep them in mind. Paul

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Didimauw just had a posting where he stripped and waxed a bubbled glossy pipe that came out nicely.
(THREAD)
If that kind of future project is interesting to you, go for it.
I have a glossy basket pipe that I love the shape of. It's getting tiny bubbles on the rim already, so I look forward to the "strip and wax" routine some day. (almost sounds dirty... 8O )
I imagine if you keep the cadence down and light carefully, you may keep the finish intact.
I'm also guessing there are many grades of finish out there, from high end gloss to ghetto grade gloss.
As Ol' Smokey used to say, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires!"
jay-roger.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, I also just stripped an estae pipe I bought, and I found out the thick lacquer is nice for hiding fills as well. :cry:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I'm buying a pipe, I am partial to buying one with a finish I want. However, I have quite a few pipes that happen to have a more glossy finish, and none of these presents bad smoking characteristics nor bubbling. These include some Savenelli, a Jobey, a Gianni, a Bari, a Big Ben churchwarden, and a number of others. A good gloss finish is a long tradition in pipe making and should not, in most cases, present a problem. I do very much enjoy my (once) unfinished pipes which develop their own finished glow, my sandblasts, good rustication, semi-rustication, and so on. But I wouldn't reject a pipe simply because of the glossy finish, but I'd buy a pipe with a finish you intend to keep and refinish only if necessary (bubbling or other problems).

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Gentlemen,Mso489,Jaytex969,Chashingembers and Didimauw, thank you very much for your input concerning on my inquiry,much appereciated,It really is startling how one can always learn something new on these pages,and now dear friends,allow me to wish Y'all a nice and restful weekend, keep on choochin'good tobacco,best Greets,Paul

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, there is varnish and there is varnish. I have seen pictures of varnished pipes that look hideous because the varnish has bubbled and peeled off.
However, one of my favourite smokers is a Dr. McQuade bent bulldog that has a coat of varnish and it is fine. I bought it as an estate so goodness knows how many times it's been smoked but there is no deterioration of the finish at all.
Some folks chatter on about breathability issues with varnished pipes, I personally think that is hogwash. Briar simply does not breathe whilst being smoked as it is an extremely dense wood.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Test. I'll try to explain later.
Mintues later: I thought I had posted twice, one before Jay's comment, and when that didn't show, again this morning, after the comment - neither showed. Just saying I was in agreement with the above, though more eloquently! :)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have 2 Cristiano pipes with super glossy varnish. These are the good older ones, not the crappy ones inundating eBay these days. They smoke fabulously well and I got each of them for under $40. The finish hasn't even twinged, and I tend to get excited and smoke hotter than I should. And the varnish made cleaning them up soooo easy. Spit on a paper towel for the rim was all it took. Love thse pipes.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
there is varnish and there is varnish
I know a lot of times a light - diluted - shellac is applied in a very light application to set the stain. This is then buffed down and wax applied. People tend to "freak out" when they hear the words varnish or shellac in the same sentence as the word pipe, lol. 8O

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"And the varnish made cleaning them up soooo easy."
Very true Wyfbane, in fact I often smoke my Dr. McQuade pipe when I'm doing anything that is likely to give me dirty hands as I know it will not transfer to the bowl when handled.
John, your eloquence is not doubted, though t'is a shame it's not here for us all to see :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am so sure! I would have tried to recreate the ever-so-eloquent response, but we all know genius is so fleeting, esp. trying to recreate same! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.