PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
It seems almost every bowl in my corn cobs have no problem staying lit. Totally the opposite of my briars. I am pretty new to pipe smoking but I think I’ve got my packing down pretty well and I always let my tobacco dry before packing. But it seems I cant keep my briars lit and my cobs almost always burn nicely. What gives?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Maybe the draft hole in your cobs is a lot more open than your briars? I would think that if the draft holes are different between the two, then try changing how tight you're packing in the briar. I know some of my cobs can take a tighter pack than my briars do because the draft hole in my cobs is so much larger. The hole size difference could be affecting the draft as you puff, meaning that you might be packing too tightly and it's not letting the proper amount of air flow through the tobacco. I'd try packing a little looser in your briars for a few bowls. You can always tamp it down if it feels too loose.
Another test you could try is to pack both a briar and a cob the same way and test the draw. If the briar is too tight on the draw, then you might try loosening the pack in it, so dump it and refill testing the draw as you go.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't even remotely think about my pipes staying lit. I smoke them while doing things and they sometimes go out, so I relight and move on.

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
OK. Thank you. Ill try the above mentioned tips. Except for Ashdiggers. I guess I just got a fact about himself. LOL

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have found some pipes like a looser pack than others. I don't know why but my Chacom needs a lite pack compared to my Dr. G's. Maybe some of these folks with more experience can explain it.

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
It’s probably something I’m doing wrong. I’ve got 6 briars so far and having issues keeping all of them lit. I’m guessing a packing issue. Too tight. Too loose. Who knows. Just weird I don’t have issues with the cobs. Bigger hole on cobs makes sense though

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The rough walls of a cob always create a more aired ember than the smooth walls of a briar. I smoke my briars a little harder than my cobs for this reason.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I have both briars and cobs; one thing I noticed a long long time ago about the briars (mostly Savinelli's with fairly evenly drilled bowls) is the tendency for there to be air gaps toward the bottom of the bowl that can occur while packing--everything looks and feels fine on top though...why it tends to happen in these and not as much in the cobs, I have no idea. That said, after packing like you usually do, take the pin of your pipe tool and poke it down through the tobacco in the bowl, if it goes in easily after the first 1/4" or so, you've got too much of an air pocket there; to fix it you can do one of two things: either repack it, or use the pin to work the tobacco down into the air pocket.
If, if, if this is what is happening to you (which I don't know if it is or not), when you pack your briars, pack very small amounts at first packing down (lightly) as you go. When I pack mine, I pack from the pouch putting in only about 1/5 of the total amount each time, tamping down with my little finger as I go (and yes, I know I just gave some on this site a heart attack, but you try packing while working a trolling motor in the wind! packing from a pouch with my finger is how I do it.)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I pack mine, I pack from the pouch putting in only about 1/5 of the total amount each time, tamping down with my little finger as I go (and yes, I know I just gave some on this site a heart attack, but you try packing while working a trolling motor in the wind! packing from a pouch with my finger is how I do it.)
It might surprise you to know that's quite common. Many call that "codger packing".

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
It might surprise you to know that's quite common. Many call that "codger packing".
I know it is, but a couple of the "preferred" members the other day implied in a post how unsophisticated and/or unrefined it was, and frankly, I think others on here would think the same way as well. I'm new on here and one of the things I see most on this site is that some of the older members (not necessarily older in age as older in membership) seem to characterize their way of doing things and/or thinking as the only way of doing things and/or thinking. Quite frustrating actually when people aren't willing to even contemplate new and/or different ways of thinking about things (much like the discussion I had a while back about air drying tobacco versus the prelight method). Just my two cents.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know it is, but a couple of the "preferred" members the other day implied in a post how unsophisticated and/or unrefined it was, and frankly, I think others on here would think the same way as well.
I've been smoking a pipe for thirty years, pack that pipe and enjoy it how you want to. The "refined" overthink things too much.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The ocassional cigar here too. Usually an Oliva Serie V maduro with a glass of Laphroaig.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't worry too much about the way in which I fill a bowl as much as I care about having a good smoke. Fill it however you want to fill it and smoke it however you want to smoke it. There really isn't a wrong way when it works for you.
I do try to ask about tips all along with tobacco I'm unfamiliar with, but mostly that's just a jumping off point. Once I try out any tips I might get, then I gradually, without even really knowing I am, begin to craft my own way out of it.
I have filled many a bowl, 2 yesterday alone, directly from the pouch by scooping and pressing it in with my finger. Occasionally I get a little heavy fingered and make it too tight, but relights are not the end of the world. It's when I tamp and it cuts down the draw that bothers me, especially while driving. I've just learned to use my pick on the old pipe tool to run a hole down through the top of the ash and to the bottom to improve the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.