Bowl Takes Too Long

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by snewton
  • Latest reply from 05venturer
  1. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

Hello all,
    I am only half loading my pipes but I still find a bowl can last me about 40 mins.
    I'm not a very slow smoker and infact probably need to slow down if anything, but not if it takes too long!
    The problem being if I load up a full pipe I never get to finish it and because I don't get much opportunity to light up the remainder of the bowl goes too dry.
    I wonder if the problem is my packing, yet I pack fairly loose and always have a nice open draw.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Stuart Newton
    Clay Pigeon Shooter
    Working in Transport
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@snewton, i tend to go back to my pipe after a couple of hours. I cannot smoke in a clients house so sometimes I will put it aside and come back hours later and have never had any trouble. If it's a taste issue try putting a cleaner in your pipe while you put it aside it takes the bitterness out of the intial light. Worth a try anyway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smaller bowl less tobacco in it. Although as far as problems go long smokes is a good one to have

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What are you using a "cereal bowl"?

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ +1 dervis.

Shallow bowls of an inch or just over are the only ones I can smoke quick. Like a bulldog shape. And if it's breezy the thick walls handle the heat.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

My bulldog is my favourite pipe at the mo! Only had it 2 weeks.
    Handmade Blakemar briar. I don't suppose you will be too familiar with Blakemar over the pond in the US but they make pipes by hand in a small workshop over here in the UK. Great quality and amazing prices! Definitely better than my Petersons etc.My best smoker for sure

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

And no, there is only one thing goes in my cereal bowl, and that's beans! :p

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

snewton, just buy a smaller pipe.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't continuously load and smoke half bowls, it's not good for the pipe as the cake will not form evenly. If you have to do half bowls, as pierl12 suggests, fill the whole bowl, put it aside, and come back to it later (it's called Delayed Gratification Technique, or DGT) -- it happens all the time to many of us.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Yep, get a shallow Bulldog for your next pipe.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

I don't know if this is any help to you, but my Peterson System 31 is a 30-45 min smoke depending on what tobacco is in it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps a 'pocket pipe'?

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=Savinelli+Pocket

Russ
    Pipe smoking is true relaxation. Everything else is work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

I though about a pocket pipe but I heard they smoke a bit hot and I'm already a little bit of a hot smoker.
    when I say I have to leave some I mean for possibly several days as I don't get much down time to enjoy a pipe. I have been reading up and I'm beginning to think my problem may be not throwing the ash enough, so I'm possibly sitting relighting tobacco that is already used up. Possibly...

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you need a #1 bowl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am skeptical, snewton... You should be able to tell if you are smoking ash.

I would just get a Stanwell Featherweight or a Savinelli Pocket pipe or something along those lines.

Save your Blakemar bulldog for when you have more time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

Simenon- I know what you mean it sounds odd, that's the mystery. I don't mean ash, I just mean I may only be getting weak lights through the ash. Hell I don't know what I mean! All I know is a full bowl will easily last me nearly 2 hours even with a smallish pipe and I'm a fairly hot smoker. I understand your scepticism, it just doesn't make sense! And I only get the odd half hour or so every few days. Im not really complaining, I just don't want to wast good tobacco!

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't be too concerned about it; it's how you smoke and is what it is. As noted, I think the solution is finding a smaller pipe. Bentmike posted a thread showing his Dunhill Group 1 earlier. It doesn't have to be a Dunhill of course, but with due diligence on your part, you will be able to find a small pipe that meets your requirements.

Good luck and let us know how you make out in your search!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   andystewart, trailboss, newbroom, ruger414, astrange1, glmpdv