PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Some of us like to sniff their bowls or stems whilst piping. It releases a whole other set of sensory olfactory stimuli and in certain tabacs distinct flavor impressions can only be picked up in this manner. Any other bowl or stem sniffers out there?
2769777d.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nicely observed. Mostly I take a little hit off a pipe bowl as I'm polishing it, when it's cold. Not so much while it's

lit.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Ah, then, you'll be missing out my friend. Bowl sniffing (whilst lit) opens up a whole new door to the panapoly of flavor profiles inherent to the gentle art of pipe smoking. Star of the East, for instance, while lit, smells completely different from how it tastes. A sniff around mid bowl reveals a sweet carmelized roasting chestnut olfactory profile, whereas the taste on the palette is more akin to a salted BBQ bacon sensation. Likewise Pirate Kake, where the cedar insence overtones are much pronounced in nasal sampling of a gently smouldering bowl, as compared to a creamy Penzance flavor profile on the tongue.
pipe_756075.jpg

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
+1 Kashmir! A smoke would be incomplete without occasionally passing the bowl beneath one's nose - and the effect is enhanced in colder weather, so those who haven't tried it are in for a treat this winter. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, another whole new dimension to pipes. I just figured out that really small pipes (Group 1's) aren't toys

after all, and now I must sample the burning leaf at the business end of the pipe. It's a whole new day!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Yea, I always sniff my pipe bowl while im smoking.. For some reason I can always tell if its a good tobacco by the way it smells out of the bowl.. I thought I was the only weirdo that did this haha, good to know their are others out there!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I not only sniff, occasionally, I'll stick my tongue in the bowl for a bit of a taste. The sizzling sound can be a bit disconcerting, but you just need to man up and push through the pain.... :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Most definitely! My latest obsession; Glp Gaslight smells fantastic when the bowl is placed directly under the snout for a quick sniff. It is amazing how different the burning tobacco smells compared to the taste while drawing the smoke through the stem. I agree with smeigs too about judging the quality from the bowl aroma.
Love that picture Kashmir.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Try smoking an Oom Paul, lol. Cannot help getting a little smoke up the nose with one of those pipes. I am not a bowl sniffer, per se, but I do enjoy the occasional smell of the tobacco whilst I smoke it. Three Nuns and C&D Sweet English have an amazing scent.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
Ah, then, you'll be missing out my friend. Bowl sniffing (whilst lit) opens up a whole new door to the panapoly of flavor profiles inherent to the gentle art of pipe smoking. Star of the East, for instance, while lit, smells completely different from how it tastes. A sniff around mid bowl reveals a sweet carmelized roasting chestnut olfactory profile, whereas the taste on the palette is more akin to a salted BBQ bacon sensation. Likewise Pirate Kake, where the cedar insence overtones are much pronounced in nasal sampling of a gently smouldering bowl, as compared to a creamy Penzance flavor profile on the tongue.
C&D x 2!

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
While I wouldn't necessarily call it "bowl sniffing", I do exhale through my nose while smoking my pipe.
I lost my sense of smell a few years back due to a virus. It definitely changed my smoking (and eating and drinking) experience. But I've found that exhaling the smoke through my nose helps to add back in some flavor that was lost by taste alone.
I'd suggest that pipe smoking involves all 5 senses. You taste and smell the tobacco, you see the smoke, you sometimes hear the burning or gurgling of the tobacco, and you feel the shape/material of the pipe itself. And the more you think about it while smoking, I find the pleasure is enhanced even more.
Happy puffing. :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yes, especially when smoking outside because the breeze (and there's always a breeze) takes away the "side stream" or what would be the room note. I think that's a big part of why smoking inside is so much more enjoyable, even if your smoking where it's well ventilated. For me, latakia and oriental blends benefit even more than say VAs and burleys. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I prefer the latter for most smokes, as I usually smoke outside. Hmm...

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Yes I must confess to sniffing the warm bowl of my favorite pipe. Usually though a smooth bowl because it presents a good opportunity to rub the bowl on your nose and give it a bit of a shine. Ya ya I know too much information but I was jealous of all the sharing going on! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.