PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eusebius

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Hey all,
I have a vague recollection that Brian (from the radio show) once mentioned that bowl size should be matched to tobacco type (eg big bowl for aromatic, etc). Does that sound right? I've been smoking Frog Morton Cellar out of a little Peterson system 31 and have been enjoying it, but am wondering if I should experiment with other bowl sizes and/or pipe types. Thoughts?

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Eusebius,
Welcome to the forum. I didn’t hear the radio show that you mentioned.
I replied to the topic of Rusticated and Sandblasted Bowls Giving a Cooler Smoke last night on another forum. My reply may address your question (at least in part). I edited a few lines for clarity.

I agree that the finish doesn’t make a cooler smoke. Smokers make heat, not the pipe. A car radiator or CPU heat-sink increase surface area to more efficiently dissipate heat just as sandblasts and carves do and that’s the difference. Pipe smoking is all about heat dissipation.
You make a very good point about the chamber temperature (being necessary) but I’d state it as retained heat that affects the taste of the tobacco. Of course every smoker’s technique is different and there are other variables like the cake and briar and, naturally, taste buds.
If you could have two (2) pipes, say large thick walled billiards, that were exactly the same in every detail (you know this to be impossible), the sandblast pipe, would retain less heat than a smooth based on mass and surface area. A few general examples in my experience.
The extra retained heat of the smooth pipe will warm yet unburned Virginia tobaccos bringing out the sugars for a sweeter taste. The larger the briar mass the more pronounced the effect. Think of a brick oven.
That same extra heat (smooth pipe) subtly changes the flavor balance in Latakia mixtures, not always for the best. The orientals and latakia seem to taste better with less retained heat and I find that sandblasts smoke these mixtures more true. Think of roasting (sandblast) or over roasting (smooth) nuts.
Thin walled, smooth pipes do very well with Latakia type mixtures because they don’t retain a lot of heat.
Carved (rusticated) pipes smoke between smooths and sandblasts but closer to the latter. Sandblasting removes soft wood, exposing the grain contour while carves remove briar randomly, retaining some soft wood that slows (slightly) the dissipation of heat.
Your mileage may vary.
Regards,
Pete

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
A lot of folks prefer a wider internal bowl diameter for more complex blends. Often the aromas and subtle flavor differences develop better with more room by allowing the burning part of the tobacco to warm the surrounding tobacco. While I don't have any hard data, my smoking seams to back their assertions. Clean and simple tobaccos like a pure Virginia seem to do well in reasonable diameter, deeper bowls. Again though, it may be my perception as much as actual science. I have a small bowl bulldog that smokes complex English blends pretty damn well, so YMMV. I definitely think certain pipes favor certain blends though. Part of the fun of a new pipe is seeing what smokes well in it, so experiment away.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
If the tobacco tastes and smokes well for you in that pipe, then pack her up and smoke it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What daimyo said about more complex blends (more different tobaccos) needing wider bowls fits my

experience. If there are four or more kinds of leaf, a pot, author, diplomat or similar pipe with a wider

bowl seems to let more different tobaccos burn at once and achieve their full resonance and harmony.

Smaller bowls like some bulldogs, Rhodesians, and smaller pipes, seem to do well with Virginias and

simpler blends or single tobaccos. But specific pipes can show talent for bringing out flavors that don't

correspond to these ideas. Some pipes are especially good for aromatics. I have a medium size Jobey with

a heavy laquer finish that does a beautiful job with most aromatics. So try around. Sometimes it is more

a particular pipe than its shape, size or type.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
My king-sized Sav 320 rejects loose tobaccos, it seems. Could be just my fill technique.
Laps up the slices, though! Smoking Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices in it now. 1) They fit just right. 2) No relights necessary as when I smoke it in smaller bowls. Again, probably fill technique, as I probably have gaps and holes in the smaller bowls with slices.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Daimyo's explanation makes a lot of sense.

I'm glad I could help but the explanation is not mine, just what I have read combined with my own experience. One great thing about this forum is that it helped clarify and put specifics to much of what I learned over the years of smoking pipes and cigars. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.