PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you have one of those really big bowls, like a half inch bowl wall, an inch diameter chamber, and about two inches depth? What's good in that big boy? Among other blends, I'd recommend Frog Morton Cellar. It's a transitional English blend with a little oak flavoring. In a smaller bowl, it might be a little too calm, but given lots of room to play and harmonize, it unfolds nicely. I'm new to this blend, but I was greatly pleased to find out how much better it does in a bigger bowl. It's an all-day smoke in an all-day smoker.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I have a big old Peterson, and will have to try it out. Been awhile since i've smoked cellar...

Jan 8, 2013
I've learned complex blends, english and balkans, really come alive in a wide chambered pipe. I suppose it's more room for the virginias, latakia, and orientals, etc, to all sing they're own song while complimenting the others. It's often the same for aromatics.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I think the tin/toom note is delicious, but the topping does not like me. I smoke a lot of VA's but they have never bitten me like I have been with FMcellar. It must be a body chemistry thing. Frog Morton on the Town is the frog for me!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I had GLP's Fillmore, a VAper par excellance, in a giganto bowl the other day... it soared and sang... and nearly knocked me to the floor in tobaccial bliss!

I have an Ardor bullie, with a tad over 1" in diameter bowl and about 1.7" deep that I just love to alternate between Nightcap and Semois. If I smoke those in a narrow chambered pipe, I get the nicotine overdose feeling, but in a huge pipe, it lessens the nausea and really brings out a big bold flavor for me.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I finally got my hands on a Kirsten with what at first glance looked like a punch bowl... English/Balkan blends are quite nice in it, which is just as well as they're my preferred blends.

Jul 12, 2011
mso - thanks for the tip, I have also noticed this - I'm going to break out the Perry White Mag Dublin blast ( at 4oz in weight this lil guy isn't a jaw hanger, hehe ) as it has a 1" diameter chamber and load up some G.L. Pease Odyssey, oh yeah! :worship:

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
The Froggie blends also do well in meerschaum, and Cellar and ATP are transcendent in my big Butz Choquin gourd calabash, also wide bowl at 1" by 1.7" deep. I never smoke anything else in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.