PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Hello, I've been trying to remove the precarb from a couple of my pipes because they add an obviously unpleasant taste to tobacco.
So far I've been trying different grits of sandpaper and 85% ethanol but it does not seem to work.

Anybody have a good way to go at it?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Alcohol and sandpaper are the only two methods I've ever used. Any idea of what the precarb is made of?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Lots of people will recommend you leave it in and smoke through the taste until it subsides. It's sound advice but I am not from that school of thought. I usually jam a Scotch-Brite pad in there until its gone. It takes some time but I feel like it does less damage to the briar. Also, it's flexible so you can roll it up and it gets the entire bowl. If you don't pay attention, it's easy to scrub some finish off the rim. Be careful and good luck.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I've been smoking one of the pipes for nearly 8 months, I am fairly tired of it.

The feeling that I get is that the pipe is actually stain black from the inside, not just precarbed.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Try running a bristled pipe cleaner wetted with alcohol down the shank. The color it comes out should tell you if that is where the problem lies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Sand it out then give it an alcohol salt treatment.

Recently had the same issue.

That carbon crap is terrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.