PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Filling bowls is my least favorite part of pipe smoking.Most times when I get to the end of a smoke I think gee I've gotta fill this thing again already.I've been thinking about those pipes with deep bowls that hold more tobacco.I'm wondering though if they're hard to re light down towards the bottom of a smoke.Any opinions here of those pipes?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I don't have any problems with relights on larger bowls, but I use a lighter. I imagine that there may be some difficulties using matches for relights in larger bowls.
There may also be a little bit more maintenance needed during smoking with a larger bowl, such as ash issues which may cause you to have to dump some ash around mid-bowl before you can get a good relight going, etc.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Here's a link to a thread that will have some relevant information for you, and which I find myself returning to often. As Bob says, changing the combustion chamber will change the pay that you will taste the smoke. Personally I've been wanting a tall bowl for VA flakes.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
LuigiViprati6inchtall.jpg

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
ive got to get one of those. may have to use barbque lighter but ive dune stranger things than that 8)

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I like deep bowls! Sometimes I have to turn the flame up on my lighter to get a relight down in the bottom. Now, that talll chimneyyyy Pipe is just begging for a hacksaw! LOL I never have tried one that extreme because I would be afraid it would tip over and take a couple of teeth with it!

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Speaking of deep as in pockets, my avatar peed in the middle of my laptop keyboard while it was running today. Do not think it is going to recover.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
i use a similar type of lighter as Cyndi has but not that fancy - mine was something like a 1USD and it is perfect for tall pipes...

here it is:

idun28.jpg

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I like my bowls to be about 2" in height, big enough for a good decent smoke, any bigger than that, the bottom of the tobacco gets nasty

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
Bob i smoke a large bowl and don't have any trouble with ash i relight as easy as i do at the start of the bowl. The taste of the tobacco i smoke in it though has become much cooler than in a smaller bowl and much tastier too, the smoke also lasts longer so i fill up less often. I am now considering a big bowl pipe for each tobacco blend i smoke and use my smaller bowls for testing new blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.