Login to Send PM

Here's part II with some pretty interesting information -

Bowl Coatings - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Part II

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

reap

Login to Send PM

Interesting article. My limited experience has been that the intentionally coated bowls ( like the dark coat on a Peterson ) didn't offset the taste, but those bowls with an interior stain ( Falcon ) tasted terrible. I recently acquired two new Rattray pipes with naked briar. Although I've only smoked one I didn't notice any ill taste and have found it is building a cake nicely. The falcon bowls however have the stain inside and do taste horrible for quite a few smokes - but of course with some breaking in taste fine. It would be interesting to know which pipe makers coatings infer a flavour- negative, tasty, or neutral to the first few smokes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It would be interesting to know which pipe makers coatings infer a flavour- negative, tasty, or neutral to the first few smokes.

If you are buying an artisan pipe from a pipe maker who does coat the inside of the bowl with something, most will be happy to tell you what it is (you won't get the recipe, but you will get a general idea) -- and if it's a commission, they will often be happy to make the pipe without it, if that's what you want.

Notice that Mr. Pease did not mention any pipe makers or brands by name in this two part piece -- and he said, more than once, it's somewhat of a touchy subject. Luckily, most "commercial" pipes use a rather innocuous pre-carb that can be easily removed with alcohol and paper towels, but even if you leave it, any ill effects, such as taste, will dissipate after a dozen or so smokes. The real elephant in the room here is the silicate "glass like" material that some manufacturers use and it seems the use of this material is increasing lately; this stuff is much harder to remove -- it needs to be sanded or reamed away -- and you need to remove it when you get it, because once that pipe is smoked, the material literally welds itself to the briar. I'm told the "newer" Brigham pipes have this glass-like "pre-carb," as well as certain Italian pipes.

Since no one will tell you what they line them with, I say when in doubt, take it out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

reap

Login to Send PM

Interesting... I have a Brigham that I got two or three years ago, has a nice cake and is one of my favourites- smokes well ( without filter). I have two others on the way in the mail somewhere. What does the silicate coating look like? Would I be able to identify it by looks or will it look like a varnish inside the bowl? I can't remember the bowl coating but the exterior had a heavy coat that I rubbed with a dish towel to thin out ( it was a voyeaur and the stain actually stained the cloth) . I might have to invest in some sandpaper...one wonders why this coating would be used unless the pipe itself was of inferior materials... But as a Canadian I wanted to support the home brand. I'll take notice of whatever bowl coating is evident - until reading this article I wouldn't have thought much of bowl coating thinking a few bowls would sort it out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking the silicate coating looks, well, glass-like and harder as opposed to the usual, black and charcoal like normal pre-carb.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   adam2, apatim, conlejm, halfy, goldsm, shaintiques, mrdottle, nardzorb, purplemotoman, apkurt, nsfisher, oregoncobhead, masspiper, pruss, mmjk, sidious, pipeinhand, northernneil, numbersix, ghost, wcannoy, davidintexas