PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Interesting article. My limited experience has been that the intentionally coated bowls ( like the dark coat on a Peterson ) didn't offset the taste, but those bowls with an interior stain ( Falcon ) tasted terrible. I recently acquired two new Rattray pipes with naked briar. Although I've only smoked one I didn't notice any ill taste and have found it is building a cake nicely. The falcon bowls however have the stain inside and do taste horrible for quite a few smokes - but of course with some breaking in taste fine. It would be interesting to know which pipe makers coatings infer a flavour- negative, tasty, or neutral to the first few smokes.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Interesting... I have a Brigham that I got two or three years ago, has a nice cake and is one of my favourites- smokes well ( without filter). I have two others on the way in the mail somewhere. What does the silicate coating look like? Would I be able to identify it by looks or will it look like a varnish inside the bowl? I can't remember the bowl coating but the exterior had a heavy coat that I rubbed with a dish towel to thin out ( it was a voyeaur and the stain actually stained the cloth) . I might have to invest in some sandpaper...one wonders why this coating would be used unless the pipe itself was of inferior materials... But as a Canadian I wanted to support the home brand. I'll take notice of whatever bowl coating is evident - until reading this article I wouldn't have thought much of bowl coating thinking a few bowls would sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.