Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Bowl Coatings - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Part I

(13 posts)
  1. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

As the opening to Greg's article states; "One of the most contentious of the long-running debates in the pipe community is the issue of bowl coatings."

Please read the article, and then tell us what YOU think. (I hope we hear from some pipe makers too!)

IMPORTANT: Please do us a favor and copy / paste your comments here onto the comments in the article.

Bowl Coatings - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Part I

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do not like them, I have a Paulo Becker Grande Two Spades that was coated, sanded it , evercleared it and smoked it, I say new briar taste is the caviar of a new pipe, every new pipe I smoke I put a thermal gun to it and the pipes , all of them are not consist in the temp profile, every briar has a weak spot and knowing where it is helps avoid burnout, dry tobbaco is very essential in breaking in a pipe, I have used Carter Hall for new and estate pipes that were reamed to the briar, retorted, with great success, in this day and age of instant gracification some pipe smokers want to excel like a champ the first time they light up, doesn"t happen, in my line of work it took approx 5 yrs before a man was competent in his job, smokeing a pipe I believe is the same IMHO that's my story and I"m sticking to it. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

dear tbradsim (old cajun). you are sorta like john wayne, a tough bad ass. a real man a must say sir.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I guess my idea of bolding and underlining text wasn't a guarantee of anything.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin I apologize I have put my comment in the section of the article , sorry. The old cajunp

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Thanks Old Cajun!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

well, iam sorry as well. i just wanted to comment to the old cajun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to not care if a bowl was coated but I always preferred un-coated. I love the taste of those first few bowls when the briar flavor comes into play towards the end. It is something I look forward to and it makes breaking in a new pipe a joy for me. I now will not buy a pipe that has been coated, the last two new pipes I did buy that were coated were both Ferndowns and I did not care for the taste at all. Since all the new pipes I buy are from artisans it will not be an issue for me, that is unless I buy a Roush. I honestly cannot understand the carvers reasons for coating a pipe, I hear the reasons they use but it I don't buy it. If someone is going to abuse a pipe and burn it out, no bowl coating is going to stop it. In the case of Roush, maybe he should use a different type of stain so it does not soak through.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since there appears to be little evidence either way… I prefer a natural interior. I can, however, respect the decision to coat the bowl if the inside looks “off” due to stains that have penetrated the wood. But if it looks good naked then for the love of Merlin leave it alone.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please read the article, and then tell us what YOU think. (I hope we hear from some pipe makers too!)

did you really think...

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

This article has generated a fairly large number of early responses. I guess Greg hit a chord with this issue.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I prefer raw wood, no coating. If there’s a bit if stain on the wood, so what — that is much easier to remove than if a coating covers the entire bowl. Also, some of those coatings can go beyond the standard “pre-carb” and are really nasty. Were I to commission a pipe, no coating would be required.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

In less than 24-hours it's become the number 3 most popular article based on average views per day. Number 1 & 2 are cartoons, so that really makes this the number 1 article.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   trailboss, fnord, briarfriar, doctorthoss, buckaroo, tanless1, rx2man, papajoe