PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I don't know if this is a stupid question, but are the natural oils from your fingers good, bad or indifferent to a briar bowl? Also does it matter if the bowl has a finish or just a wax?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Nope! Mods may close the thread now :) Now some finishes and coatings can get on your fingers if they overdue it until the excess comes off. There is nothing to worry about, meerschaum pipes are another story... I have an unfinished briar pipe, I prefer them that way myself, my fingerprints were never left in it, but I do wax it every month.
One word of advice though, never ever ever get alcohol near a finished bowl, it will ruin it, so clean carefully.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Thanks Eric. I knew about the meerschaum process, but I wasn't sure about finished briar. I think I would like an unfinished briar someday just to watch it age with use.

Jan 8, 2013
Craig I have a Nording Signature Freehand. They are unfinished, and I tell you, it's fun watching it change as it absorbs oils from your hands and tobacco. They're not expensive, but I can assure you mine is a good pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never found that handling warm meers with clean hands affected the staining process. When I got my first meerschaum I a cotton glove or a handkerchief to handle meer surface, warm or cold. A CAO rep told me just to make sure my hands were impeccably clean when smoking and handling and there would be no problem. I took him at his word and some pipes are a bit splotchy while coloring I believe that this is more due to the quality of the mineral.
Further, an old pipe smoker of mine used what he called nose wax to polish his briars as he smokes. Nose wax being the oils on his nose and cheeks. It was an affectation I'm sure, but I catch myself doing the same now and then.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Unfinished briar end up looking exactly like finished briar over time. I think it is rather cool to see the tar stain the pipe naturally. I think any briar pipe should be waxed cause it just looks and feels better, whenever any pipe doesn't look shiny or feel smooth, I give it a good coat and buff. A lot of the excess stain will come off a brand new pipe, don't worry about it at all.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
@ Anthony; an old timer once suggested to me that "nose wax" be applied to a two piece fishing pole to help keep it together while casting. Just two of the many uses for nose wax.
@ Eric; I was more concerned about the affect on the pipe than anything that might get on my hands. I do like the smooth feel of a fresh waxed bowl. The question came to me because I notice I often rub my thumb back and forth across the the side of the bowl for exact that reason.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Roth, I bought a Brebbia Pocket pipe off ebay for my brother inlaw. The finish was very beat up so I stripped it down with 3M sanding scrubs and the grain just popped. I used a cloth to rub on a fresh coat of teak oil and it looked very fresh and clean. I was careful not to get it in the bowl. I finished it with a light coat of wax. A question to you is is the teak oil a bad choice?

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
The simple answer is no. The natural oils from your hands and fingers will create a patina on the briar. If I were you I would have relatively clean hands while smoking your pipes. Finally, when you thoroughly clean your pipes after 10 to 15 smokes it is a good idea to invest in a Dunhill dusting cloth which you last you for years. Give your pipes a good polishing on and a while with the polishing cloth and the finish on your briar pipes will be pristine.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As a rule I don't buy pipes with bowl coatings. To my mind the arguments for them don't stand up, and if I buy such a pipe, I remove them.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have the lovely ability with my hands, to be able to completely dissolve any stain or finish to a bowl. Some weird chemistry thing with the oils/acids in my hands that does create an issue. I have a nice smooth Brigham pipe that looks completely unfinished where I normally hold the bowl with my thumb. The other side is perfectly normal as Pruss will attest to. It's bizarre, for this reason I generally prefer sandblasted pipes.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Think the question is well answered but still thought to chime in. I will be stoned for saying it but I DO like my pipes with a luster on them. But look at the lil round pocket pipe I posted in the "post your pipes you made" thread.
That lil guy just got sanded with 220, then 400, 800, 1200, then 2500. No finish on him at all. Just wiped with a tshirt cotton rag. He's as nude as they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.