PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I dislike them in the extreme because they serve no useful purpose and because someone else decides how I should receive my new pipe. But that is just me. There are arguments for and against. My purpose is not to have this discussion again but to ask what you think about going to the trouble to remove them as compared to leaving them in place, and in particular whether leaving them in place detracts from the smoking quality of the pipe. I know the antis will say that they want nothing between their tobacco and the briar, but it seems to me that this only uninformed opinion.
I've never read anyone saying that I bought X pipe and left the coating in, and I could tell the VAs in X blend, that I've smoked to the tune of 500 tins, don't sing the same. Further I know that that lessening is due to the coating; because in fact when I bought X pipe I also bought another in every respect; and having removed the coating from one, in a side by side comparison, having tested the wood and finding it identical, taking all measurements of every length, width and angle. . .in short, having ruled out all possible variation other than the bowl coating, I can indeed say that it negatively affected the smoke.
However, it also being true that the observer affects the test, I'm not sure if my mood was the same, and to tell you the truth what about those barbeque pork rinds I ate a few hours before one of the smokes? Also I'd had a tobacco diet of heavy latakia for three days before the test, and my mouth was a tad stinky.
That the many anti-coating pipe smokers haven't done this test leaves me with a poverty of informed opinion, and I come to you for yours. Thanks in advance.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Well, I have smoked pipes with bowl coatings for awhile and found them less than satisfactory. So I sanded out the bowl coatings and after getting a cake started I felt there was immediate improvement. I don't wait anymore. I sand the coatings out forthwith.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
There's nothing I like better than the taste of fresh briar when I smoke the first bowl in an uncoated bowl...

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I'm sure this will seem a stupid question, but what is a "bowl coating".
I have a MM Cob. I'm pretty sure it they make it with a porcelain mixture, is that the kind of thing you mean?
I also have a (meaning a whole 1) basket pipe. It had a blackened color to the bowl when I bought it. It wasn't an estate pipe. It was newly made. I also have a Dr. Grabow Omega that I purchased knew that had the same color and feel to the inner bowl when I opened it. I just assumed it was some kind of "pre-smoking" or heat that had been applied at the factory to pre-season it or something. Was that a coating?
I also made my own pipe from a pipe kit (as pitiful as the poor thing looks) that smokes as good or better than those two. It had a fresh briar surface obviously. So I do have a comparison to the other two.
I can tell a slight difference between smoking the same tobacco out of one or the other, but I assumed it was due to the characteristics of the design of the pipe. More along the lines of size of bowl, size of draught hole, air flow, etc. My palate isn't developed enough to pick out a lot of the flavors that others mention in reviews of tobacco, so I can't really say one is better than the other yet. I like all of them. To me, they are just different.
I'm new to smoking, so none of those pipes have had much tobacco run through them.
I'm just trying to get an understanding of what you are talking about to help me identify if a particular "bowl coating" is the difference I'm tasting.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I should have also mentioned that all of my pipes are so new that they have just barely begun to form a cake. It's less than a dime by far, but there is a good coating of carbon on all of them by now.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Bowl coatings are just that, substances applied to the walls of the chamber by the manufacturer/artisan before it is sold.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Bowl coatings cost money, and add an extra step in the manufacturing process, even for the hand carvers that use them. They must serve some purpose else no one would use them. Maybe we pipe smokers don't understand the "why's" but does it really hurt the smoking experience?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That would make sense, but I'm not sure this issue can be regarded in any other way than the maker being in control of the pipe making process; and can choose to coat or not coat. I've heard it said that they coat because they think a dark bowl looks better and will help sell the pipe. I wonder though if it's not insurance against burnout for the maker, really, so that if every pipe they sell is coated, the coating means, to them, that it won't burnout and they will have less bother from customers seeking a refund or some other remedy.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I prefer a coat on my pipes ( other than Castello) I find it makes the pipe easier to break in .

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have strong feelings on both sides of this issue. Actually I've not noticed that having or not having a coat makes a discernible difference in how the pipe smokes or breaks in.
If no coat tastes different from coated it must be a fairly subtle effect.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I prefer un-coated. I like to know what is in my bowl and that I put it there. I make exceptions for estate pipes, but my new pipes had better be un-coated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I really don't notice either way. I have smoked them both ways, and made them both ways. To me, it seems like cake develops more quickly on a coated bowl though.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Most of my pipes are from UK makers - Askwith, Northern Briars and Blakemar Briars make up the bulk of my pipes and all where coated and easy to break in and smoke well now. I've broken in a good few falcon bowls and they're the only non coated bowls I've broken in and they where real nasty to break in but they smoke well now.
Are coated bowls more of a European thing?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had two coated bowls on new pipes this year and I'm a fan for the reason Peck and Nurseman stated - they break in easier. The RIGHT bowl coating is a great thing (Chris Askwith & Royal Oak Briars). Peterson coatings - those are bad.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I like bowl coatings, I have had a few coated when I bought them and a couple not coated. Might just be in my head but the coated bowls seemed to break in faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.