PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For years, I wrestled with bow ties. When I had to wear a tux, which I finally bought instead of rented,

I copped out and used a pre-tied. (The Brits regard this as the height of boorish dress, but I'm not a

Brit.) Finally, one day, like a revelation, I tied a bow tie to my satisfaction, not quite a snappy tight knot,

but definitely a tied bow tie, and I'm getting better. Here's advice on buying bow ties. Since there's a

fashion at present among younger people for bow ties, they are selling for too much, with the asking price

from $40 up. Don't do it. If you shop discount places, and if you wait until after Christmas, you will be

easily able to buy them for $10 or less, the same ties. A popular option right now is a reversible bow tie,

with two different patterns available to wear turned out. You may want to own only all-silk bow ties, but

some of the rowdier patterns come in polyester, and I think that's okay. My latest "find" is a black-on-black

all-silk embossed paisley that I just had to buy for $12.99 plus tax, to wear with the tux, or otherwise.

I'd been over-thinking tying a bow tie for years. It is dreadfully easy once you take the shortest and simplest

route. Of course! I used to think bow ties were a tad too cute, but now that I'm a bit battered and frowzy,

they seem about right, and people react well to my wearing them. Also, bow ties confer license to wear much

louder and crazier colors and prints, since they aren't running all the way to your navel. In fact, except for

formal occasions, a bow tie is almost expected to be loud.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good timing mso. I need a bow-tie for my new Seersucke suit, to be worn this June at my daughters New Orleans wedding. All the guys are wearing Seersucker and bow-ties (yep, hipsters I guess). I've never owned a bow-tie but need to acquire one that will go with a tan Seersucker suit. The young guys in the wedding (future son-in-law included) tend to favor the day-glo colors. That's not my style. Feel free to post or shoot me some links to a decent tie, my taste probably need a little help... Here's the suit:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ssjones, wow, a lot going on for you in choosing this bow tie. I have a linen suit which looks similar to your seersucker,

but I can't see from the photo if your suit has a stripe in it. My linen suit, of course, does not. Harry Truman used to

wear linen suits in the summer when air conditioning was not that common. Anyway, as father of the bride, I'd go with

a pure silk tie. Also, I'd go with something colorful but sophisticated, no day-glo. I don't think I would shop online. You

need the direct experience of the color and the texture. Silks go all the way from kind of stiff to really fluffy, and you

probably want something in between. I'd start by looking at a sophisticated paisley on a beige-gold background, if you

find that. You want some color and light, but nothing jivey. You're the father of the bride, the presiding elder, at this

event, and you want to play the role somewhat. I would look at discount places such as Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and Ross

for starters, and the large department stores near you after the holidays, where I think the bow ties will go on massive

discount. If possible, get your wife in on this. Women, generally, have better style sense, more nuanced. I'm interested

in the stuff, but I'll go with my wife's taste in a heartbeat. Whether you go the paisley route or not -- and I only suggest

it as a way to have color but some dignity -- you can play off the stripe in your seersucker, if that's green, blue, or brown.

If you find a good selection at a reasonable price, and you (and your wife?) can't decide, buy two or three and choose the

night before the wedding. When buying a bow tie, you may have to pick around a little to find the fabric tag, but nearly

all will spell out if the tie is silk or polyester. They're nearly all "made by hand in China," but designed in New York,

or wherever. Bow ties pack well, better than fore-in-hands, and take up almost no room. Good luck!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hey, thanks. I do like paisley ties and an olive-green of sorts was what I was thinking. The suit does have a white background (or linen?) and tiny brown stripes. I wouldn't have thought to check Marshalls or TJ Maxx, I pass a ton of each in my work travel. I'll keep you posted!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I just recently started getting into bow ties myself. So far, I only have two. It started with one of The Great Gatsby outfits, and this one is a hard one to tie to get it to look like Leo's did in the movie.
leo-kev-02.jpg

Last weekend I attended a beach wedding. I know that white and linen are out of season, but in Florida for a beach wedding it's still acceptable in October. IT was 85 degrees by the way.
Here I am with Dave McKay, morning drive-time personality on WQYK 99.5 Tampa Bay's Country Station.
dave-kev.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting more bow ties.
Thanks for the advice mso489 and Briar Blues.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I'm tempted to tell my ugly tie story, but don't want to redneck up this classy thread.
Al: Thank you for the lovely picture. I now have another mental image to call up when I think 'gentleman'.
Kevin: I have no words, sir. No words.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kevin, great look. You illustrate that a bow tie looks truly dressy without looking like a uniform.

Pleasantly individual without looking attention-getting. It's a good item for anyone's wardrobe.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Whenever I read anything about bow ties, I can't seem to get the image of Orville Redenbacher out of my head.
Please pass the popcorn... :P
Signed,

Your popcorn popping, pipe puffing pontificator

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looking spiffy as always Kevin!
http://www.beautiesltd.com/product/escanaba-bow-tie/paisley-bow-ties

What about this one for my tan seersucker?
ESCN142.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
HOLY CRAP it's Colonel Sanders back from the dead with a loud bow tie.
Sorry Kevin. I couldn't help myself. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ssjones, that green paisley bow tie is perfect. Now you need at least two others, in

other shades of paisley, to suit your mood. But I think this one will do it. Do shop

those after holiday department store sales. They've stocked up, and I think they will

unload just to clear the inventory. Anything else from the winter season -- sweaters,

slacks, etc. -- it all goes out the door. Sometimes the prices drop day to day. Or at

least that's been the standard procedure.

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
Growing up my pediatrician who was also my neighbor had a different bow tie for each day of the year. To this day anytime I dress for an occassion I will go to my bows before the long ties. As far as cost, like mso said, all mine came from discount stores or after Christmas sales.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I too have been hit with the bow tie bug as of late. Not sure why or how, but it happened. I was tie shopping last month and became fascinated by the different bow ties the store had. I mentioned to my wife that I might mix in a bow tie instead of a regular long tie and she thought I was joking. Well to test the waters on whether I would like them or not I bought a bag of six off of Amazon on the cheap. There nothing fancy, but nice enough to wear with a regular button down shirt.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I tend to shred the really soft silk ties. My first bow tie was of that sort and I practiced with it so often that the edges got frayed quite a bit. However, you must learn to tie them yourself or not bother in my opinion. Like so, and, yes, there were a lot of fries with that steak:

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
You gentlemen certainly look outstanding in your bow ties. I think I will stick to my new policy of no ties. Call me a fashion outcast I suppose!
Edit: By the way Al, I can just see you resplendent in your seersucker enjoying a lovely Sunday morning brunch at the Court of Two Sisters!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
$49 is about the standard asking price for silk bow ties. But those same ties, at department store sales and

discount places, will go for $9 to $14, or so. So, get the one you need online, if you want, but keep an eye

out for the lower price (they are the same ties) and stock up with a few more when you can. Many nice

paisleys on offer at a local department store, discounted now, and they'll go lower after New Years, those

quiet Monday nights when it's just you and the sales person. Stock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.