Tags:   

Bourbon And Tobacco Pairings

(18 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by ssavarimuthu
  • Latest reply from instymp
  1. ssavarimuthu

ssavarimuthu

Login to Send PM

Have any must try bourbon and tobacco pairings?

One of my favorite bourbons is Four Roses Single Barrel. Any suggestions?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also enjoy Four Roses, often I pare it with a VaPer but something on the spicy end of the spectrum. Four Roses isn't overly sweet but I find it to really enhance the sweetness in VaPers

Procrastinate Later. - I'll say this one day!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bulleit Bourbon with Lancer's Slices is great!

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George Dickel Tennessee Sour Mash Bourbon with Match VIP.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D Star of the East and Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare.

Four Roses....My parents had a case of that stuff in the attic. My brother got up there and snagged most of it and drank it with his Frat brothers in the 80's. I'd love to have my hands on it now. I think it was Four Roses from the 60's or 70's.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No question... Balkan Sobranie.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. bpftc

bpftc

Login to Send PM

Calumet Bourbon is one of my favorite pairings while smoking. Of course I might be biased, because I tend to pair it with everything!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs, unless you’re wearing an ironic t-shirt and playing badminton – then you just look like a pussy.”
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

It must be my palate, but combing any drink with a pipe (or cigars) diminishes the taste of both. I love good whisky, and will sometime have a fingers worth prior to lighting up, but never after.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. okiebrad

okiebrad

Login to Send PM

If I was a drink and tobacco match maker I think I would use the fragrance of the tobacco and the taste of the drink to guide my pairing. When I open a jar of Dunhill Nightcap the scents remind me of earthy things. The same earthy reminders happen when I taste a highland scotch. Some perique tobaccos scents remind me of pepper. The same peppery reminders come from some shiraz wines. Many virginia blends take me to a fresh green grassy field just like some pilsner beers or even a freshly made limeade.

As for my personal favorites, any excuse to have a drink and smoke is acceptable so I have no problems pairing any drink with any tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm more of a single malt man myself, but Four Roses is quite nice. Angel's Envy is another rather delectable drop, if a little heady.

When I was younger I had an old copper pot still, I used to make pure corn whiskey. Sipping that stuff while slow chugging on a corncob pipe was about the best pairing of spirit and smoke I ever found.

Bourbon is 51% corn in the grain bill, by law, but you usually can't taste it so much. I think there are some commercial corn whiskeys available these days, it's worth a try to see what I'm talking about.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah bourbon four roses makes bulliet FYI for everyone. Some bourbons to try are the following whistlepig yummy, blantons is nice, dads hat is a bit spicey, old
    Forestor, I personally enjoy pairing scotches with English blends a nice peaty scotch with an English is fantastic. Oh and the yamokazi sherry cask I believe was the best in the world in 2013....I'm sure the scots were pissed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Oh man - for a second there I thought you were saying you paired single malt scotch with English blended whiskies! A shiver ran down my spine until I realized you were referring to tobacco blends!

I've never understood the level of self loathing a man must have to subject himself to a blended whisky...

Yamakazi isn't too bad. I recall being quite shocked the year Amrut single malt won though.

Doesn't hold a pale to Lagavulin 16y.o. or Highland Park's 21y.o. IMHO...

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer single malt malted barley spirits, but blended has their place; such as in a mixed drink like a rusty nail. I have problems with bourbon and tasting corn.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I don't drink mixed drinks. I just drink single malt neat from my Glencairns, or other spirits neat or on the rocks from a tumbler. Each to their own, I guess.

I have never found a bourbon that overtly presents the corn on the palate, though - what are you drinking that it's problematic for you? Out of interest - although it may just come down to different palates.

I made a few runs of a single malt corn whiskey for a while there, when I was distilling, too. A lot of work malting corn as it has to sprout much longer than other cereal grains. But wow, it's an incredible drop. The lactobacillus presence from sour mashing reacts with the copper in the still to produce creme brulee notes and an incredible mouthfeel, this coupled with the smoothness of a single malt fermentation as opposed to long chain sugars is something out of this world.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Old Rip Van Winkle is a quite nice bourbon. My father gave me a bottle a few years ago, and I was very impressed. Any others enjoy this?

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The state liquor stores in N.C. sell corn liquor in mason jars; cute huh? But the stores are operated through a strange system of appointments and lack of transparency, and the selection has a notably limited inventory, to an annoying degree. Some things you can get, some things sometimes, and others never. You make an effort to find something you like, because you certainly can't just go and get what you like. Free enterprise, not.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Liquor laws remind me of why I'm an anarchist.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bulleit & Makers with what ever you crave.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ebnash, tbradsim1, oldgeezersmoker, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy