PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonvanr

Lurker
Mar 15, 2017
Hey guys, so I am as new to pipe smoking as it gets... started two days ago and I apologise if this has been asked. I bought three flavours of tobacco and have stored them in Mason jars... the tobacco store also gave me these tube like humidifiers that I have to soak and insert into the jars. Do these work? What else should I know about keepin tobacco fresh. Looking forward to being part of the community. Joining my father and more interesting people in this relaxing ritual. Thanks so much guys and a shout out from South Africa!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Welcome aboard.
I'm sure other, more experienced people will chime in shortly, but for now, here's my $0.02
I like my tobacco dry enough so it does not stick together when pressed as a general rule. That's the best way I can describe my preferred moisture level. Some prefer it more dry. If the tobacco you got is bone dry, the humidifier will moisten it, but probably at the expense of some of the taste. I'm pretty sure that repeated drying and moistening is not great for tobacco. I know that in my case, I had to almost force myself to let the tobacco dry a bit before smoking. It seems counterintuitive, but more on the dry side is better than more on the moist side.
The mason jars area good storage device and for me anyway, they keep tobacco at a good, smokable moisture level for at least a couple of months.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Oh, and remember....slow sips with wisps of smoke. You don't want to look like a freight train :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good evening to you, Sir! Welcome to the forum.
In glass Mason or other glass jars, I wouldn't worry at all about moisture loss. If you find some leaf getting so dry it will crumble, use the little disks or tubes- or a shard of terracotta.
What tobaccos are available in your area?

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Watch Muttonchop Piper on youtube. He has a whole series for the new-intermediate piper. Enjoy.

jasonvanr

Lurker
Mar 15, 2017
Well my local tobacconist has a very nice house brand called Celleni... it's almost like the icing on the cake I use it with a bit of Holland House golden Cavendish. Then Petersons Hyde PARK is my first flake cut tobacco but I will learn more about what we have this side the more advanced I get! My first pipe is a savinelli with a dry system and it is quite a great pipe!

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Welcome to the forum,if the tobacco is moist you won't need your humi buttons for awhile.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been reading these forums for awhile now, and that's the first time I ever heard of putting tube-like humidifiers into a jar of tobacco.

Might work though.

I don't bother with re-hydration, but when I have done, a big stainless steel mixing bowl with a damp* dish or hand towel stretched across it's mouth for an hour or so does the trick for me.
*damp: I put the towel across and spritz it with a spray bottle just enough to get it damp.

jasonvanr

Lurker
Mar 15, 2017
Yes it's called HYDRO-PAD and it's a small humidifier for your pipe tobacco. It might be a South AFRICAN brand not sure.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
What to do? Smoke that stuff! :lol: As to the humidifier things, if your jars are any good at all, keep them in your drawer for safe keeping later on. You won't be needing them for the tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm with Toob on this one jar them up and enjoy. In nearly thirty years, I've never used any devices to remoisten tobacco.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Are these what you are talking about?
hydro_pads_01-500x333.jpg

hydro_pads_02.jpg

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Tobacco is best smoked kinda dry so those should be unnecessary.
Cigars are different, do you also smoke cigars?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It seems counterintuitive, but more on the dry side is better than more on the moist side."
That is the best advice by far. You should only need to rehumidify tobacco if it has got far too dry for smoking. By far too dry I mean it crumbles to dust if rubbed together.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Save the humidifiers should you run into some tobacco that goes dry, but otherwise put them in a drawer. I assume you have a lighter or matches, a tamper (pipe nail, Czech tool, or whatever) and some pipe cleaners. Now you're good to go. Take your time, don't seek perfection, learn as you go, seek a relaxed enjoyment, don't worry about relighting as many times as you need, don't worry about some unburnt tobacco in the bottom of the pipe, when the taste diminishes just empty the pipe, and sip don't puff. You'll do fine. Mainly, smoke to enjoy it. No rules, no contests, no image to portray. If you're dad smokes a pipe, you've picked up a lot of the ritual by imitation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What mso says. And will they work to re-humidify? Yes, any introduction of moisture to a closed—airtight, that is—container will work over time. Fastest is to spritz.

Status
Not open for further replies.