PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
And now ladies and gentlemen, the continuing adventures of captainsousie in Latvia.
Today I ventured into a mall tobacconist to see if there was anything worthwhile. They had very little in the way of pipes and tobaccos but they did have a pouch of Germain Mixture no. 7 which I am smoking right now. They also had a couple pouches of Cube by MacB of which I picked up the silver. Since I was lacking a good pipe lighter and the lighters here are frankly terrible I bought a pipe lighter by "Cool" to round out the purchase.
The 90 grams of tobacco ended up costing €15.50 (around $20 according to the ECB)and the lighter just a touch less.
Well, sitting on my deck in the nice, mild evening air (66 degrees Fahrenheit with no wind) I think it was a good call. No more burned thumb from the lighter and even though my pipe is heavily ghosted with latakia, the tobacco tastes rather good. I don't know how many more nice nights we are going to have before smoking will require a parka so I'm gettin' the smokes in while I can.
Here's a few surprises. While the tobacco selections aren't huge, the prices are comparable to the US (better than some states) and there are quite a few places to buy it (Huh, guess there's more than one good country where a guy can buy baccy). With all that pipe tobacco available, you might expect to see another piper but I haven't seen one yet. In fact, I walked through a part of town that was having a Sherlock Holmes party of sorts and got a lot of looks as I was the only one with a real pipe that was lit.
On another Latvian pipe note, I did try to look up Sergey Senatorov since getting one of his pipes while in Latvia would make for one hell of a story but have had no luck getting a valid contact for him.
That's all I have for smoking in Latvia for tonight but I'll monitor the thread for questions and answer them if I can.

Aug 1, 2012
Yeah, they had a pouch of W.O. Larsen, all the Sail tobaccos, a few pouches of other euro-codger blends and some Captain Black. They also had a few tins of Bentley tobacco including a limited edition tin for around 22 euro.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, if nothing else, I've learned about a well regarded pipe crafter. One site says he lives in Riga.

I like the look of his pipes, and read that he cuts his stems and tenons in one piece. I wish you luck in finding him, because it looks like it would be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.