PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Recently masspiper was selling a very nice WGM DAN98 Double Silver meerschaum and I was able to purchase it! This pipe is way better built than my only other meerschaum. This pipe has a good size bowl, nice open draw, and a push pull tennon! So far I have thoroughly enjoyed every bowl! In every way it is superior to my other meerschaum. So wanted to show it off.
Plus thank you masspiper!!
img_20151215_203542886-600x337.jpg

img_20151215_202843121-600x337.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a classy meer. Congratulations!
Is that a thick cake I see, or is the lighting playing tricks?

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
buroak, light playing tricks. There is a very small amount and I need to gently scrape it a little. But mostly the bowl is just black from wonderful smokey goodness. The small amount of cake is my smoking. It was perfect when I received it from masspiper.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That's a beautiful burner, Ford.
I don't know sic'em about Meers except that it's pretty as hell and seems to be coloring nicely.
Other than that I'm still confused by the Spigot/Military definitions.
Fnord

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
fordm60, I recommend sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to remove the cake. I start with 80 grit and switch to 220 when the cake is mostly gone. I never take the pipe back to bare meerschaum, but I get that cake very thin. You can slow re-accumulation by "polishing" the remaining cake with even finer papers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting the pix. Beautiful pipe. :clap:

Meers give tobacco a character that is different than briar, and quite enjoyable.

I'm glad to hear that the draw on your pipe is nice and open. My biggest complaint with

most meers is that the draw is usually too restricted -- and that is because of the

nylon/teflon connectors many manufacturers employ. It's the main reason I don't buy

meers anymore.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Thanks guys!
buroak, I like the sandpaper idea! I have even used it for cleaning old estates, Briar, no idea why I missed that technique for meerschaum! Thank you.
Cortez, I agree I did not like the draw on my other meerschaum, not the screw tennon. But this on is wonderful!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
WGM=IMP
So Briar style tenons are a given and the draw should be ok. What I like about these pipes is that they fit the hand very well and are substantially made even if they are ungainly to the eye. You scored a deal on that pipe. I had a busy morning and was late to post, otherwise that pipe would be mine lol.
What bugs me about meer is the average quality of a $300 meer pipe is roughly approximate to what you would expect of a western basket pipe. If the raw material was available for export...oh, the things that would be done.
Folks seem to crow about Baki Pipes. I've kept an eye on Deniz's site for a while now but the number of pipes that look a little shoddy has cast a cloud over the rest. Still, keeping an open mind.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
bigpond, I got lucky for once! I would recommend a WGM meer to anyone, fantastic pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.