PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I am an ex-cigar an ex-cigarette smoker as I've said here some other times... I wanted to celebrate the New Year with something "different" than pipes, so I went on and bought a cigar that I used to like a lot (a Dannemann, one of the best around here).
Upon lighting it though, my first thoughts were something like "what's this about?", "did I like this flavour?" etc.
I mean, even mediocre local pipe tobaccos (that you guys wouldn't know) taste better than "good" cigars for me these days. I could compare that latest one to the worst pipe tobacco pouch I've ever had.
At least it felt good to come back to my pipes when I managed to finish the cigar. I'd still try a Montecristo or Cohiba these days though, because these were like paradise for me.
Anyway, I didn't mean to rant.
Any thoughts on comparing cigars (or cigarettes for that matter) to pipes?

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Aren't Danneman dry cured European style cigars? There may still be some hope for you and cigars from this side of the planet. I was once a bigger cigar smoker than anything else. however now although I cant seen stop filling my humidor for aging I'm rarely in the mood and never for more than a robusto..

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I came to pipes as a long time cigar smoker. There are cigars out there that are absolutely sublime. - - I enjoy both pipes & cigars.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
So true! I have a large cabinet humidor full of cigars and I rarely (rarely) grab the sticks. They just aren’t the same anymore.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Agree. I’ve come to like pipe tobacco far more than cigars. I’ll still probably have an occasional one, but the majority of my smoking will remain with pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've enjoyed cigars mightily, and I'd probably like one for a special occasion. However, in the U.S. the difference in the price of smoking a bowl of premium pipe tobacco and a premium cigar is about one-to-twenty in cost. What is equally or more important is that the experience is better, the nuanced flavors, and the ability to tune your own tastes by mixing condiments with single-leaf or blends in different proportions. It's just more interesting. Granted, it takes a steeper learning curve to get to a competent level, but once you reach it, there's no comparison. Cigars are pleasing, but not like a pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Depends on the mood. Cigarettes, cigars, chew, or nasal snuff. They each scratch a different itch.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Seems as I recall having a Dannemaan or 2 many years ago. I smoke maybe 2 cigars a year. No longer like them as well as pipes and that includes Cubans I've had in the pat. Wouldn't recommend Cuban pipe tobacco however. :P

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
One big advantage to cigars is the social aspect. I’ve shared cigars with my relatives and friends (I usually provide the cigars) during get togethers and special occasions. Most recently, we saw off my nephew with cigars, excellent bourbon, and lots of laughs & good conversation before he left for a long time Peace Corps assignment overseas. Cigars are great for this.
My nephew is in his early 20s and the cigars & bourbon were part of a kind of ritual of sorts, welcoming him into the world of men.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I enjoy a cigar, especially when the humidity gets oppressive and a pipe just doesn’t smoke as well. That being said the ability to match pipe to tobacco gives a more satisfying experience 99% of the time. Add in the cost differential and I could be buying tins of McClelland and still be at a cheaper dollar per smoke ratio. A decent Cuban is an excellent smoke but no better than a really nice tin of aged Virginias IMO.
My brother was a cigar guy and I introduced him to pipes. He’s almost exclusively pipes now for the same reasons.
It’s all good but I’ll take pipes over cigars, hands down.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I loved cigars, and although in general cigar tobacco has a different taste, the individual flavors of cigars were delectable. I spent a lot of money on cigars, far too much, but that was also true with pipes and pipe tobacco. But if you spend two or three dollars to smoke a pipe with certain tobacco, you spend $10-$15.00 on a comparable cigar. Well, maybe not. but you get the idea. But in general it's not hard to spend that amount on cigars, and when I was smoking them, I was far more likely to spend that amount than something cheaper; and although I spent too much, I was typically rewarded by the quality of what I'd bought.
But in the end I couldn't justify the expense and smoked the pipe quite regularly.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The monetary issue is a huge factor. All of the great pipe tobacco blends currently still available are a gourmet luxury that is eminently affordable compared to any other similar indulgences...fine wines, cigars.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to buy wine at a small, local shop from the storekeep who was hot, personable and knew wine. If she was busy I'd spend $20.00 on one of a half-dozen good reds on hand, but as often I'd have her advise me on a pinot noir for about $30.00. I wanted the good stuff, but that bottle would disappear in the course of a Sunday afternoon. For $30.00 I could get two four packs of the best artisan beers, typically double IPA and double stout. That would last two days. Thus wine was twice as expensive
I liked the good stuff. Compared to smoking the pipe, wine, beer and cigars are indeed far more pricy.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I didn't even mention that...
I have spent quite some money on cigars, and am spending a lot less with my pipe smoking when compared to it.
With pipes, you have that initial expenditure, but then it becomes way easier on the pocket.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I like them both. I see no reason to choose one over the other. It'd be like saying ale sux just because I've grown fond of martinis. Just like ale has its place at dinner, liquour has its place as a nightcap: I enjoy both daily.
Same with different toby presentations.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Barely smoked 5 Cigars in all of 2018.

Yes Hoosier, but those Fuentes!
I had a cigar for New Years, a fancy Drew Estate something or another. While I enjoyed it I couldnt help but think the whole time, why didnt I just smoke some ODF. I love cigars and they have their place, but pipes are definitely my go to. Oh who am I kidding, I love them both!
Compared to smoking the pipe, wine, beer and cigars are indeed far more pricy.

Yep, and when you throw some single malt into the mix then its pricey indeed.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Cigars are also much less hassle and maintenance. Just cut, toast, light, and enjoy. No fussing about drying, packing, tamping, the thing going out all the time, cleaning the thing after smoke, &c.

Status
Not open for further replies.