Bought a new pipe that came with a small black tube. What is it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
It's a Savinelli that arrived today. There came filters and this black tube, the size of a filter. Can anyone tell me what this is for?
Thank you!
44519352_1126461074179649_1947708033115095040_n.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
It's an adapter for use when or if you don't want to use the filters. If you choose not to use a filter, you place the adapter in the same place the filter would be. Without it, the draw would be more open than it should be, which can lead to moisture build up in the larger cavity that would be created without it.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Most likely an older 5th generation SV197 extraction and alignment calibrator
Don't look at it directly

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm with Cosmic. The draw of a Savinelli without the filter or adapter in place is damn near magical to me. I only use the balsas if I'm smoking a really steamy gooper, and I don't smoke those much anymore anyways.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I would agree. I ended up taking the adapter in one of my other pipes out completely after trying it without it. The draw was so much nicer without it in, so I've just left it out ever since.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That nice draw on a 6mm Savinelli with no adapter is why I don't have to mod them to 5/32" like I do a lot of my other briars.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@crashthregrey Thank you! I actually have a new question :lol:
What is the probability of this pipe breaking if it falls to the ground?

What is the probability of this pipe breaking if it falls to the ground?

Assume that all pipes will break upon hitting the ground. Treat them as if they are all made of glass. Do not drop your pipe. I have never dropped a pipe. Ever! I have stepped on them, closed them up in the trunk lid of my car, accidental backed over them with my car, but I have NEVER dropped one. Just hold onto it. :puffy:

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@Cosmic I have poor coordination (light brain damage). So I can lose a hundred dollars at any moment? That's damn sad.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a couple of Savinellis and sometimes I use a filter and sometimes I don't. I never use the adapter.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Ahh, it finally came. And it came with the adapter. Neat!
See if the filters help with your moisture issues.
If your place is not carpeted, just use basic care. Hold the pipe as if you were holding a billiards ball, wrapping your hand around it. That Sav should be 'ergonomical' in that sense, and fit nicely into your fist.

Status
Not open for further replies.