PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Was listening to sattelite radio and a band popped up I hadn't heard before, played a real rad song. They had a bluegrass sound with folk type vocals, a nice blend of my favorite genres. Liked them so much I bought them off itunes on the spot, incredible tunes.
And I know people project their experiences on music, but holy crap, I swear this EP was written about me. There's even a song called Boomtown about chasing money and buying land in... Well, a boomtown haha. If you like bluegrass, check these guys out: The Dirty River Boys. I bought their EP Long Cold Fall, but they have a couple CDs too.
Their live shows look riveting, the boys can play a mean mandolin and their bass player can slap a damn double bass like nobody's business.
Have any of you found a record you could swear was written about you?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I'm and old line purist when it comes to bluegrass so these guys don't really appeal to me. Their sound is more mod country than bluegrass. The one band member seems to be totally useless except as a video bite.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
bulletsnbriars:
May I recommend to you my favorite bluegrass group? It is called Longview, and is comprised of the cream of the crop of studio musicians. Originally their lineup included Grammy award winning fiddle-player Glen Duncan, a cousin of a childhood friend of mine. My favorite Longview CDs include "Longview," "High Lonesome," and "Lessons In Stone." Here's a taste to whet your appetite:
Longview - High Lonesome
Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chris Thile, mandolin, and Edgar Meyers, bass, have branched out from Bluegrass into a kind of contemporary classical

that is really interesting. I don't think they've abandoned Bluegrass, but they have certainly expanded on their 'grass roots.
I'm also a sucker for Leonard Cohen and his strange concoctions of erotic and religious lyrics, and his melding of all manner

of musical sources from Klezmer, to country, to rock, to folk, to hymns and Jewish sacred music, all done to a pop audience.

He's 80 years old plus, and still sounding very much in the world.
For great blues, I count on the late Rev. Gary Davis (among many others), and for high country, Ralph Stanley, an old timer with

a grasp of the present and future. Love the late Doc Watson; his voice quality was almost a match for Burl Ives, but with a

different song book.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
There is a Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby Live album that meshes Ricky's Bluegrass with the piano of Hornsby that is AMAZING!
so this post might explain my tendancy toward cobs...

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
You should check out Trampled By Turtles, really nice stuff. http://trampledbyturtles.com

Status
Not open for further replies.