PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
went into town today and bought myself a little space heater. i smoke out in the garage and its not heated so its getting pretty chilly now. the garage is all insulated so it wont take a lot to warm it up. its on as i type now and its great!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
HA! I have you all beat! I ran a new 15A electric line to the garage this summer and put n a new 4 socket box. This was to help keep the circuit from popping when I put two space heaters on. I also ran an extension cord out there so I can use another heater for those REALLY cold nights.
I'm using two quartz radiant heaters with a ceramic heater as extra. I've also switched chairs from a patio chair to a folding camp chair since fabric chairs don't retain the cold as long as a metal and plastic chair does. I've also bought a Lava Seat to help keep my backside toasty.
-Jason

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
So I am guessing that my complaint about 50 degree winters wouldn't hold too much water in this thread.. :rofl:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
The North Pole
Actually, in North Pole AK ( that Santa Claus-themed town ) outside Fairbanks is -34F right now as per Accuweather. It's a different kind of cold though, pretty manageable as long as the wind isn't blowing.
Would probably need a bit more than those electric heaters .... better would be baseboard heaters and some sort of wood stove :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
This is the time of year that I am really grateful that the landlord allows all of us in the building to smoke in our apartments. I am really the only one that smokes indoors in the whole building but once in a while my girlfriend and I will go visit with the couple that lives two doors down while they have a cigarette. The guy is always asking me questions about my pipes and telling me how cool they all look.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
jeeze lord, ya got me beat by a bit haha. in all seriousness, i enjoy smoking but the winter can be a real pain in the behind for a smoker.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use a small, ceramic space heater in my garage. It works well to take the chill off. My garage is insualted as well, and rarely dips below 50 degrees, but a little warm blast on the legs is nice. I have a bigger, Coleman propane heater that will warm the whole garage in 10 minutes, but it isn't as convenient to use (but I bet it is probably cheaper to run).

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I guess I should feel really lucky. I had natural gas piped to my shop a couple of months ago to hook up a direct vent heater I started to install several years back but never finished. Now the shop stays around 62 and takes about 15 minutes to come up to a very comfortable 70. Turn on some music, fill a glass with some brandy or single malt, light up, and everything's right with the world, for an hour or so, at least. Will get me through until Spring when I can move back to the deck...

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I don't have Santa for a neighbor but my garage has next to no insulation and I like to smoke pipes which can take at least 45 minutes to puff through. I figure might as well be a little more comfy while I'm doing it.
-Jason

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
@rothnh, I used propane for several years, and it got the job done.
I, too, don't understand the practice of heating with oil or coal. Here, on the West Coast, it's either electric (solar, hydro, wind, or nuclear generated) or gas (LNG or propane). Some thermal, but not much. Nobody uses oil or coal.
Important thing is to stay warm and keep the pipe a'burning. Stay warm, my friend.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I just try to smoke in the garage while drying laundry :/ haha it hasn't got cold enough in Oklahoma for me to

Need a heater, and it might not this year I'm beginning to think we're going to have a year without snow

Status
Not open for further replies.