PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernieheimte

Lurker
Jan 30, 2017
So, I have been trying a lot of different techniques to load my pipe with the tobacco. It seems whatever I do the bottom quarter tends to go out, and be very difficult to stay lit. Is this normal? The other problem I have is that the pipe it really starts to burn hot and it's hard to hold. That seems to be the only way I can keep it lit, But the hot smoke is uncomfortable. Not sure what to do. It just seems like the bottom quarter is very difficult to know how to pack. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You might try packing more loosely and drying out your tobacco a bit more before packing. I find that I get the most flavor with the majority of blends when I let the tobacco dry to the point where it feels dry to the touch when squeezed, almost bone dry, but still pliant.

The ideal way to get the most flavor is to slowly sip the smoke, keeping the tobacco simmering on the edge of going out. Don't worry about trying to keep the pipe going. If it goes out, just relight.

Too much moisture and too tight packing makes it difficult to smoke the entire bowl. Your pipe shouldn't be getting hot. That damages the pipe.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
I too have had similar issues with slightly moist tobaccos and have been trying metal inserts to keep the tobacco away from the bottom of the bowl. Have had success with screens called Dri-kule filters, they keep the tobacco away from the wet slop that accumulates during smoking. I also waste less tobacco per bowl. You still need to dry out your tobacco properly but aromatics are sometimes best smoked a little moist.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I use a combination of all of what said before, dry the tobacco, metal screens in the bottom of the bowl to keep an air chamber below the tobacco which improves the combustion, pack it more loosely (I use what I call the palm method where I put some tobacco in the palm of the hand, then I run the pipe over it to get it filled, it is nearly impossible to overpack and it is also nice to do), dump the ashes at mid bowl. And finally (when there is some ash on the bowl not right after lighting/relighting) I use the finger/nail to tamp, you tamp way better than with the tamper and from the tactile feedback you understand very well where and how much to tamp in the bowl. If you do all of this you should resolve your issues.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The bottom quarter is like the filter on a cigarette. It's become saturated with tars and other previously-combusted particulate matter. I prefer to dump it and start anew, as life is short and a pinch of tobacco relatively inexpensive. However I have known some to pack a new bowl on top of it. Why people have made a "hobby" ritual out of smoking the dredges is beyond me, especially when it's the same people who make a "hobby" ritual out of extoling the so-called virtues of codger blends, as I never knew any codgers who smoked the dredges.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I usually ditch the last dregs. The only time I don't tend to is if I'm finishing off a pipe from the day before, in which case a lot of the excess moisture has already dissipated. I tend to expect about 15-20% wastage per bowl, depending how dry it was before I packed it.
I have tried using the philtpads in order to avoid wasting tobacco. They do work really well, and you can smoke right down to the chalk. Unfortunately if you don't keep track of where you are, and try to "relight" the chalk, your bowl finishes with a really foul taste, and you kinda wish you'd gone down the sacrificial tobacco route.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Like said before. Probably it's wet from condensation , especially if you're smoking a bit fast / hot

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Shutterbugg is right. The last quarter of the bowl absorbs all the nasties being pulled through it, and tends to be hot, wet, bitter, and hard to keep lit. Dredges are difficult to smoke, primarily because they are a machine used to scoop the muck out of the bottom of a waterway, and are not intended to combust. Dregs are only slightly easier to keep lit, and only taste marginally better as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All is true for those who smoke damp tobacco: nasty indeed.
If properly dried, one can get a good smoke right down to a fine white ash*!!
* This hyperbole is a standing joke, but the principle is the same: dry your tobacco and enjoy a longer, cooler smoke.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I agree with the previously stated comments, however, good Virgina tobacco can taste wonderful in that last quarter. Dry the tobacco out well, smoke easy, stir and relight. Sometimes it smokes well, sometimes it's more work than its worth. It's all about the experience. Happy Smoking!

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
What I do is when I get down to the part where it is hard to keep lit I dump the ash then tamp the remaining tobacco very tight. After that poke a hole in the center or far side of the bowl with the poker part of the pipe tool this allows the air to circulate and burn again.

Or I just pack with the air pocket method to begin with..

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I never knew any codgers who smoked the dredges[dregs]."
Wasn't it Lewis Carroll who used to save all his dottle in a jar until he had sufficient to fill a bowl?
If it wasn't Lewis Carroll it was some other famous writer.
Regards,
Jay.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
How that last quarter ends up is not only a reflection on the tobacco itself, but also on the preparation, method of smoking and even maybe the pipe itself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay-
Apparently Sherlock Holmes did just that, saving the dottle from the day before to make up an interesting "early morning pipe", very different from Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill! According to ACD, he left it to dry overnight on the mantle. (from memory from posts on the forum some time ago.)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"According to ACD, he left it to dry overnight on the mantle."
Well ACD ought to know eh? Anyway, I would have thought Holmes's baccy would be dry enough even fresh as it was kept in a slipper dangling from said (warm) mantle.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, he was THE authority on all things Holmesian.... :puffy: :) Indeed, he (ACD via Holmes) knew to dry his tobacco. Did he put the dottle in a slipper, too? Inquiring minds.....

bernieheimte

Lurker
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks so much for the input and thoughts! I will try to pack up more loosely and also understand that the bottom of the bowl is going to be somewhat of a filter. Thanks again for your thoughts, it is so helpful to me as a beginning pipe smoker!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You might try packing more loosely and drying out your tobacco a bit more before packing. I find that I get the most flavor with the majority of blends when I let the tobacco dry to the point where it feels dry to the touch when squeezed, almost bone dry, but still pliant.

The ideal way to get the most flavor is to slowly sip the smoke, keeping the tobacco simmering on the edge of going out. Don't worry about trying to keep the pipe going. If it goes out, just relight.

Too much moisture and too tight packing makes it difficult to smoke the entire bowl. Your pipe shouldn't be getting hot. That damages the pipe.
The best explanation ever probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.