PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
Just got through with bowl of Northwoods which is my first English and it was delicious. I thought it would be overwhelming with Latikia but it was actually very mild yet full of flavor. The smoke was creamy and left no weird after-taste or feeling in my mouth. No nicotine "buzz" was detected which is a good thing I guess since I am still very new to this wonderful hobby. I am proud to say that I love English blends now. :D

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a fan, it's one of my regular smokes (I live near Boswells). It does have a slight casing to it, but not that I notice from my other lat-heavy blends. It's a good mild English, my opinion.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Northwoods is a great "starter" english. The Boswells do a great job with all of their blends imho.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I wish I lived closer to Boswell's. I may have to make a weekend trip out of it and head on over to PA. It's a good 5 hours away from here.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I cut it with Carter Hall, 3 parts Northwoods and 1 part Carter Hall makes it burn smoother and tones down a little bit the woodsy taste, but every bodies palate is different, it is a good tobbaco. The old cajun

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I always keep Northwoods handy. Like the Cajun says, it is also good cut with CH. I think CH helps keep it lit and does not change the taste of the Northwoods much.

Dec 24, 2012
I tried Northwoods awhile back. When I first got into pipes I ordered a pipe from them. The gentleman asked me what type of tobacco I liked, and I send English. So he sent me a 1 oz sample of Northwoods with the pipe. I really liked it. I wish it were available easily online.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some say it has an "incense" type smell/flavor (what ever that is!). Not by my tastes. JM uses black cavendish in almost everything, which cuts into the latakia, perhaps softening it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I am very happy I don't live near them! I would be poorer! (Am not poor, just have that old Italian disease, "Fundsalow")

Love the service, Tobacco too much. & the pipes. Great company.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I don't think Northwoods is appreciably cased with anything. It does have a very slight perfume/incense taste to it but don't let that deter you - it's a really great mild English and the best introduction to Latakia based blends if you're not familiar with them.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I'm glad you like it! While some consider Northwoods to be a beginner's English, I've been smoking primarily English/Balkans for more than 20 years and Northwoods is one of my 2-3 daily staples. It's great stuff, and I definitely would characterize it as having an incense-like flavor/smell. Unless there are some unusual orientals that aren't mentioned in the official description, then this stuff is definitely cased or topped with something very unusual. It also has black cavendish in it, which manages to smooth the blend out and give it some sweetness.

Status
Not open for further replies.