Tags:  No tags yet. 

Boswell's Northwoods

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by punkrockarmy
  • Latest reply from doctorthoss
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

Just got through with bowl of Northwoods which is my first English and it was delicious. I thought it would be overwhelming with Latikia but it was actually very mild yet full of flavor. The smoke was creamy and left no weird after-taste or feeling in my mouth. No nicotine "buzz" was detected which is a good thing I guess since I am still very new to this wonderful hobby. I am proud to say that I love English blends now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm a fan, it's one of my regular smokes (I live near Boswells). It does have a slight casing to it, but not that I notice from my other lat-heavy blends. It's a good mild English, my opinion.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

Northwoods is a great "starter" english. The Boswells do a great job with all of their blends imho.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish I lived closer to Boswell's. I may have to make a weekend trip out of it and head on over to PA. It's a good 5 hours away from here.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Fitzy: give me a shout if you come up with a date, we're over due for a forum get together

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cut it with Carter Hall, 3 parts Northwoods and 1 part Carter Hall makes it burn smoother and tones down a little bit the woodsy taste, but every bodies palate is different, it is a good tobbaco. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always keep Northwoods handy. Like the Cajun says, it is also good cut with CH. I think CH helps keep it lit and does not change the taste of the Northwoods much.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never smoked it, but what sort of casing does it have?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried Northwoods awhile back. When I first got into pipes I ordered a pipe from them. The gentleman asked me what type of tobacco I liked, and I send English. So he sent me a 1 oz sample of Northwoods with the pipe. I really liked it. I wish it were available easily online.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Some say it has an "incense" type smell/flavor (what ever that is!). Not by my tastes. JM uses black cavendish in almost everything, which cuts into the latakia, perhaps softening it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am very happy I don't live near them! I would be poorer! (Am not poor, just have that old Italian disease, "Fundsalow")
    Love the service, Tobacco too much. & the pipes. Great company.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I don't think Northwoods is appreciably cased with anything. It does have a very slight perfume/incense taste to it but don't let that deter you - it's a really great mild English and the best introduction to Latakia based blends if you're not familiar with them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Login to Send PM

I'm glad you like it! While some consider Northwoods to be a beginner's English, I've been smoking primarily English/Balkans for more than 20 years and Northwoods is one of my 2-3 daily staples. It's great stuff, and I definitely would characterize it as having an incense-like flavor/smell. Unless there are some unusual orientals that aren't mentioned in the official description, then this stuff is definitely cased or topped with something very unusual. It also has black cavendish in it, which manages to smooth the blend out and give it some sweetness.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mongoose108, darwin, tarak