PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
On cool, calm nights I love to pull out my comfy lawn chair and sit on my porch listening to Dave Matthews, John Mayer, and the like through my Bose noise canceling headphones while smoking my pipe. It is one of the most relaxing experiences in my opinion. I was wondering if anyone else does anything like this while smoking their pipe?

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I've re-recorded alot of my vinyl records onto CD with the Crosley radio and loaded it on this Infernal Darned Machine. I use Logitech headphonesto not interfere with Herself's TV or Radio. I like easy listening (elevator) music ie: Montovani.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's still too damned hot down here to do that.

But, I will.

Side Note: The Cicadas have finally stopped that infernal noise... I doubt even the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones could suppress or disguise that incessant din.

I think they know and enjoy just how close to madness they drive everyone before they fall silent/dead. You can even hear them when indoors. (insert psychotic maniacal scream!)

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
It's still too damned hot down here to do that.

I feel you on that. I am in Arkansas and I can only go out at night as it has been in the 90's recently.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I don't know what I will do when it gets cold here (only in the 20's at its lowest though if that). I guess I will only smoke my cob in fear of messing up my briars.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Ok, I'll stick my neck out and see if I get it chopped. I also smoke my pipe and listend to my ipod classic. When you mention "Bose" it's like poking me with a sharp stick. I'm not only a 40+ year pipe smoker, I've also been an audiophile for that long. I think Bose is the biggest con ever pulled on music lovers. It's not that their stuff is actually "bad", it's that it's highly overrated. You can buy something just as good or better for half the price. If you want to block out external sounds you don't need "noise cancelling", with it's extra, distorting circutry, you just need good closed earphones. I would suggest Shure SRH840 phones. Very good sound, super at sealing out other sounds and a bargain price.
I have 4 headphones and I listed to my Ipod with a Ray Samuels Audio portable amp and cable and all my music in the ipod is recorded lossless.
If you want to learn about "good" portable audio so you can really hear your music while puffing away, you might want to vist this site. http://www.head-fi.org/
I know this is all getting a little off the subject of pipes... but hey, I didn't start the thread.
Happy smokeing and listening to all...

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
The Shure SRH840 are about what my Bose would have cost me if I paid for them (three or four years ago I believe). My father had used his reward points from his credit card to get them but decided they were too big for his liking so he gave them to me for free. As for speakers and such I can't use those because I live in a duplex and the "back porch" is a 5ft by 6ft cement square outside the back door and my neighbors door is 15 feet away. So if I listen to with my headphones instead. The Ipod headphones don't fit in my ear very well and my Skull Candy headphones make a noise when you tap the chord so I only use them to workout. So I use the Bose headphones to listen to music and to watch movies on my laptop outside while I smoke. I don't mean any of this rude so please don't take it that way I just wanted to explain why I use the Bose verses something else.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Hey Wallbright, You are very gracious and I didn't mean any disrespect either. As long as you're happy that's all that counts. One of my points was that Bose is overrpiced, but at what you paid how can you go wrong? My post was to just make some people aware that there is a world of sound besides Bose. Rock on!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Hey Wallbright, You are very gracious and I didn't mean any disrespect either. As long as you're happy that's all that counts. One of my points was that Bose is overrpiced, but at what you paid how can you go wrong? My post was to just make some people aware that there is a world of sound besides Bose. Rock on!
Thank you Searock, I didn't take what you said as rude at all. Bose in general are very overpriced but I am very happy with mine since I did not have to pay for them. They also have excellent customer service. When the chord on mine went out they sent me a replacement for free next day shipping and they also apologized profusely. I am very happy with my headphones and I hope for them to be around for a long time. I would definitely have paid $150 for these. However, with the prices at what they are now I would not recommend them to anyone as it is possible, as you have stated, to get headphones that work just as well for cheaper. Furthermore, when a headphone company has a payment plan available you know they are expensive lol.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
In the living room Polks up high , Cambridge Soundworks in the middle and 25 year old Bose 301 speakers are still good and shake the whole house ,Other brands Hmmmmmm can you say refoam .Sennheiser head phones last forever , but Plantronics went to the moon .In the office Infinity rs 1b towers do the job with a old S7900A Dynaquad or I can flip a switch and power the Realistic Optimus 5b speakers . In the car it is Alpine . One of my favorite things to do when iam at a light and hear rap music is to crank Van Halen Eruption full blast and watch jaws drop .

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I am with you igloo on the rap music, which is an oxymoron anyway. Would definitely be good with the opening posts. definitely having some good jazz going on thru the Bose headphones.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
At this moment...
Reading the forum, smoking "My Mixture" in a 1960's Castello and listening to a Bingo Miki album on the Ipod. All is well...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys,

I have got to dive into this one.

I bought a set of STAX headphone back when they first hit the market. Took me a month or more to save up for them. I believe they were some of the first "electret" style speakers available to the public. I still have them, and I have yet to hear a set that can match them. They are within arm's reach here in my "Smokin' Hole".

As for that style of over heard music mentioned by Igloo...

I wish you guys could learn to spell... It's spelled C-R-A-P.... the C is silent.

:)

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Just a thought. Another way to relax with your pipe... for when you get tired of listining to music, is to try old time radio. There is a ton of free shows on the web and I'm sure you old timers remember listening to the radio before there was TV.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Things haven't changed much. Today much of the internet runs on b.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.