Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey- The Blue Collar Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
On the face of it, this is an excellent idea. A Classic OTC Aro™ in a drugstore corncob while getting my hands dirty. What could go wrong...
According to the pouch this blend is composed of 35% Black Cavendish and 65% Virginias. Fuck.
The pouch had been sitting in the console of my truck for the past few weeks, so it had thankfully dried out to a decent crisp. I packed it into my Legend using the "Fuck it, that looks about right" method. For the uninitiated, this is when you stick your pipe into the pouch and cram the loose tobacco in by feel while wishing you'd remembered that you left your tin of Navy Flake in your other dungarees.
The charring light brings out the taste of the Cavendish, along with a tower of loose tobacco rising above the rim because you packed it like a fumble-fingered ape. Some whiskey notes come through as well. After I hurriedly tamp it down the true light takes hold.
The flavor isn't awful, though the Cavendish takes the fore and throttles your taste buds. Cab note is fantastic, of course. About halfway down the flavor becomes twice as intense and is actually FANTASTIC. Unfortunately this flavor burst lasts for approximately five minutes, as absentmindedly puffing away causes the embers to turn nuclear. If you have any blacksmithing planned, don't bother breaking out the forge. Simply place your metal into the pipe, puff a few times and then throw it onto the anvil. Should be cherry red.

29750_400447932793_2825358_n.jpg

Above: an overtaxed bowl of Borkum Riff
All in all, this is a decent smoke for when you're sitting on your porch, relaxing with a beer and a book. While working? Forget about it. This dog bites when you push it.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
My friend, this was a much needed laugh. im doing a double at work because some ass told one of my workers he was to be somewhere else full time...needless to say i get woke up after 4 hours of junk sleep and have to drive to work an hour away so my daylight worker can go pick up his autistic nephew from school.
So i thank you for a much needed laugh and look forward to another bluecollar review. Are any of the borkum riffs any good other then this one :?: I have a coupon for a dollar a bag.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for your review sir. BR whiskey takes a hard hit by a lot of forum members here, I myself like br whiskey.

I have been smoking it since the 80`s. I like many tobaccos. It does bit and smoke hot when pushed.
Take Care.
Mike.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Ahhhh the only reason I come to this site........artful reviews of tobaccos, from average Joes. The only way to vet an honest picture.

reviews in magazines from tobacco clubs make latakia into fruity flavered flowers and aros into French perfume. Here ya get gates of hell and black smith forges.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
I tried a pouch of this stuff a while back. Got it frome a safe way grocery store. It had obviously been sitting on the shelf for a while. Upon opening the pouch I was greeted with no scent what so ever and tobacco that turned to almost powder when smashed between my fingers. I thought well ok I'll try to smoke this. At $15 for the pouch I couldn't just throw it away (Washington state yay). It actually smoked alright. Not much flavor. No bite. Not really much of anything. So in the trash it went.

BR Bourbon Whiskey is not that bad, just dont puff like a steampunk engine ;) infact if it hits hard, just dilute it with Captain Black Royal ;), BR BW is still better than BR Black Cavendish, it dries your mouth and bites.
Right now I have a mix of Captain Black Regular, Captain Black Gold, Borkum Riff Black Cavendish stashed in a 50g Tin. Doesn't bite, gives your nose a nice whiff and doesnt taste like ash mid-bowl.
Cheers,

Chris

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
It was my very first blend, the tobacconist I bought my first pipe from only had Riff in stock, and because my favourite rolling tobacco was rum and wine infused, I tried that.
Its still not too bad, admittably I only have tried a handful of flavours, and I';d much prefer this blend to the Peterson Hyde Park which I can safely say is a blend that I hate.
Ps, $15? Wow, its $50 over here..

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
"All in all, this is a decent smoke for when you're sitting on your porch, relaxing with a beer and a book. While working? Forget about it. This dog bites when you push it. "
TIME TO LET THE BIG DOG EAT.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Borkum Riff Whisky was the first tobacco I ever smoked, I bought a pouch with my first pipe, a full bent Grabow. BRW must not have been too bad, because I stuck with it and am still puffing 20+ years later.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was one of the lucky that got the BR coupons for a dollar a pack. The local Rite Aid only had the whiskey, so I got 2 and will be taking them to our annual group camping trip. After this review, I'm looking forward to trying it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister and her husband sent me BR Whiskey from a trip to Holland with the tax stamps, two pouches.

I finished them off, mostly as-is, a few mixes. I won't say it's Dunhill MM 965 or even one of my own

burley/Va/Cav mixes, but I enjoyed it. It bit a few times, but mostly behaved and was never anywhere

near getting a trip to the compost.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Love the review, Sean, and sorry I missed it the first time around.
I started out out on BR in the early 70's and, sadly, I didn't know shit from shinola about pipe smoking in those early days.
This comment had me rolling on the floor:
"The pouch had been sitting in the console of my truck for the past few weeks, so it had thankfully dried out to a decent crisp."
Brilliant, pal. Just brilliant.
Keep'em coming.
Fnord

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I started out with BR as well back in the Jurassic. Now I wouldn't take a truck load of it for free.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Your method description had me literally laughing out loud. My dog looked at my like I'm weird. But I know exactly the packing methodology you're talking about... we've all been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.