PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Let's see some books/collections. After all, a good book enhances a good pipe, or is it the other way around? LOL
Here's most of my short horror story collection:
img_20190516_192927347-600x450.jpg

I'll be posting more soon.

Jan 8, 2013
I'd post a picture of my Galaxy Tab S3 with my Kindle library, but it's not as sexy as dead trees.
I always swore I'd never read books digitally. I'm somewhat old fashioned when it comes to reading, and I like the feel, look, and smell of good old fashioned paper book. But I have a friend who's always talking about the convenience of her tablet, that I finally broke down and got an Amazon Fire HD 8. Crap... I freaking love the dang thing. If I want a new book, it's right there at the touch of a button. And as awesome as novels are on the tablet, comic books are freaking great!!! Plus I can use it for practically anything else that I would use my phone or laptop for, so my laptop never leaves home now.
I do still own books, and will likely still buy some books, but most of mine are in the closet right now taking up less space in my little apartment.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I rarely use my kindle which was a gift given to me years ago. All my bookshelfs are full and additional stacks of books find other places to rest wherever an orderly out of the way location is. I have been meaning to get a centralized larger bookshelf solution for all of my books but haven't gotten around to that project yet.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
More than half the weight of my household goods is books, and that's after a major culling. It's embarrassing, but I just can't bear to throw out books.
Here's a very small snippet of my collection. I just happened to photograph this pipe in front of a shelf:
0eda690d-25dd-4633-9cc9-66c6a39f8245-600x417.jpg

I have a whole storage building full of books. Books from my father and grandfather after they passed, and every book I have ever read. My kids and friends are all allowed to read any of them that they want, but they cannot leave the shed. :puffy:
Now, I just use Kindle on my ipad, because, ha ha, I really don't have room for many more. But, I have always been a fast reader. I have read about a book a day, sometimes more, since I was able to read.

books001.jpg

books002.jpg

Most of these is just crap fiction, but I read a gambit of things, except war or politics. They tend to bore me to death

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Good Grief, Michael! You're worse than I am! We're kinda like Hap, books either boxed in the garage, or else just all over the house (which is why I can't really do a picture of them). Some fiction, but mostly non-; physics/other science Manhattan Project, Richard Feynman, Jimmy Buffett (Yes, he's an author too.), aviation/submarine warfare, automobiles, smoking (Ehwa, Dunhill, et al.), history (gobs of that), God-knows-what-all.... Plus all the stuff that's on my droid & iPad, of course. But for good leisure reading while smoking, print, always print.....
Bill

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I guess I should mention my specific interests: I'm basically the opposite of Cosmic-- tons of military and political history books (but then, I'm a military officer/economist, so it makes sense I would be into that stuff). In the fiction realm, I have a strong interest in early to mid 20th century British novels, and I make it a point to never turn down the chance to read P.G. Wodehouse.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Some of my wife's bar-tending books and some of my college textbooks I kept through the years:
img_20190517_065748941-600x450.jpg

My antique children's anthology books which I read literally about 30 years ago:
img_20190517_065624582-600x450.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've tried reading on a Kindle but just can't get into it. It used to be my eyes didn't like it but that has been fixed since the newer ones are very similar to paper but I still just can't get used to them.
It does make me wonder though, at what temperature Fahrenheit do Kindles burn? (Ha! It's a reference both to Ashdigger and Bradbury. That's a twofer!)

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here are two of the six shelves of my books. This gives you an idea of my interests. Mostly American history. Almost always a non-fiction book...I can't remember the last time I purchased a fiction book. If there is a fiction or spiritual book in the house, it's most likely my wifes.
20190517_104940-edited-600x266.jpg

20190517_104902-edited-600x241.jpg

I had a Barnes & Noble ebook thingy...hated it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just watched Fahrenheit 451, so I thought it best to burn every book I come across.....
I read extensively in my teens and twenties, but now probably a couple of dozen books per year. Some on iPad, some hard copy. Oh, and some via mp3.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have hundreds of books on my Kindle. I jack up the size of the font to about an 8 and I can see much better than with a regular book. I used to need glasses for reading a book, no longer since the Kindle.

No need for stacks of books hanging around the house and no more trips to the library.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It does make me wonder though, at what temperature Fahrenheit do Kindles burn?
Yes...and the digitization of everything will ultimately result in widespread censoring, editing and deleting of written material (as well as video)...most of which will occur without most people ever even knowing it's happening.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Of course. It will just make it much easier and more efficient. Especially since it can be done even after it's in your possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.