Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Books!

(37 posts)
  1. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's see some books/collections. After all, a good book enhances a good pipe, or is it the other way around? LOL

Here's most of my short horror story collection:

I'll be posting more soon.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd post a picture of my Galaxy Tab S3 with my Kindle library, but it's not as sexy as dead trees.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd post a picture of my Galaxy Tab S3 with my Kindle library, but it's not as sexy as dead trees.
    I always swore I'd never read books digitally. I'm somewhat old fashioned when it comes to reading, and I like the feel, look, and smell of good old fashioned paper book. But I have a friend who's always talking about the convenience of her tablet, that I finally broke down and got an Amazon Fire HD 8. Crap... I freaking love the dang thing. If I want a new book, it's right there at the touch of a button. And as awesome as novels are on the tablet, comic books are freaking great!!! Plus I can use it for practically anything else that I would use my phone or laptop for, so my laptop never leaves home now.

I do still own books, and will likely still buy some books, but most of mine are in the closet right now taking up less space in my little apartment.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I rarely use my kindle which was a gift given to me years ago. All my bookshelfs are full and additional stacks of books find other places to rest wherever an orderly out of the way location is. I have been meaning to get a centralized larger bookshelf solution for all of my books but haven't gotten around to that project yet.

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Antique books (mostly by/about an Irish novelist that my wife studies).

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

Some Bible study reference material and a part of my Louis L'Amour collection.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More than half the weight of my household goods is books, and that's after a major culling. It's embarrassing, but I just can't bear to throw out books.

Here's a very small snippet of my collection. I just happened to photograph this pipe in front of a shelf:

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a whole storage building full of books. Books from my father and grandfather after they passed, and every book I have ever read. My kids and friends are all allowed to read any of them that they want, but they cannot leave the shed.

Now, I just use Kindle on my ipad, because, ha ha, I really don't have room for many more. But, I have always been a fast reader. I have read about a book a day, sometimes more, since I was able to read.

Most of these is just crap fiction, but I read a gambit of things, except war or politics. They tend to bore me to death

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  9. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good Grief, Michael! You're worse than I am! We're kinda like Hap, books either boxed in the garage, or else just all over the house (which is why I can't really do a picture of them). Some fiction, but mostly non-; physics/other science Manhattan Project, Richard Feynman, Jimmy Buffett (Yes, he's an author too.), aviation/submarine warfare, automobiles, smoking (Ehwa, Dunhill, et al.), history (gobs of that), God-knows-what-all.... Plus all the stuff that's on my droid & iPad, of course. But for good leisure reading while smoking, print, always print.....

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I guess I should mention my specific interests: I'm basically the opposite of Cosmic-- tons of military and political history books (but then, I'm a military officer/economist, so it makes sense I would be into that stuff). In the fiction realm, I have a strong interest in early to mid 20th century British novels, and I make it a point to never turn down the chance to read P.G. Wodehouse.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of my wife's bar-tending books and some of my college textbooks I kept through the years:

My antique children's anthology books which I read literally about 30 years ago:

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've tried reading on a Kindle but just can't get into it. It used to be my eyes didn't like it but that has been fixed since the newer ones are very similar to paper but I still just can't get used to them.

It does make me wonder though, at what temperature Fahrenheit do Kindles burn? (Ha! It's a reference both to Ashdigger and Bradbury. That's a twofer!)

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a stack of dead Kindles that I hated. I find that reading on a large iPad screen to be much better on my eyes. I just use the app.

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here are two of the six shelves of my books. This gives you an idea of my interests. Mostly American history. Almost always a non-fiction book...I can't remember the last time I purchased a fiction book. If there is a fiction or spiritual book in the house, it's most likely my wifes.

I had a Barnes & Noble ebook thingy...hated it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just watched Fahrenheit 451, so I thought it best to burn every book I come across.....

I read extensively in my teens and twenties, but now probably a couple of dozen books per year. Some on iPad, some hard copy. Oh, and some via mp3.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have hundreds of books on my Kindle. I jack up the size of the font to about an 8 and I can see much better than with a regular book. I used to need glasses for reading a book, no longer since the Kindle.
    No need for stacks of books hanging around the house and no more trips to the library.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It does make me wonder though, at what temperature Fahrenheit do Kindles burn?

Yes...and the digitization of everything will ultimately result in widespread censoring, editing and deleting of written material (as well as video)...most of which will occur without most people ever even knowing it's happening.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 months ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We've had censoring loooong before Gutenberg came along.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ Of course. It will just make it much easier and more efficient. Especially since it can be done even after it's in your possession.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Automatic updates will take care of all that sexist language on your Charles Dickens digital books.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  21. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Automatic updates will take care of all that sexist language on your Charles Dickens digital books.

Indeed. Then there's that rascal Twain...definitely have to clean up his ramblings.

Not to mention history and current events in general...and everything else that might corrupt or otherwise unsettle the masses.

Not to worry though...at some point it'll all be taken care of by "AI" at the Ministry of Truth (pay no attention to that man behind the curtain).

("Fire" ... interesting name Amazon chose.)

It'll be a brave new world eventually...we're well on the way already.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

I am a bit like Cosmic in that I cannot bear to part with books having read them. In my case this means I brought boxes of books to Australia when I move here in 2012 and they are still in the shippers storage! It's handy they are still in crates though because that'll make it easier to ship them to Brazil when we move in October

The only books in my apartment are the ones we've bought since we moved here; so that's a mere 3 Ikea Billy Bookcases of detective novels, railway history, Catholic religious works, cookbooks and Australian fauna/flora books.

Odd thing is I am 1 of 4 brothers; 2 of us live surrounded by books and the other 2 just borrow books from a library and never seem to buy any - must have saved them fortune over the years.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

This is my old home office, shows about a fifth of the books. This is the upper right corner of the sketch I made before building it out.

In our new location, the books are split half and half between my home office and office office. And I donated a couple of thousand to the library before we moved. Liberating in some ways, though sometimes I envy those that still have every book they've read.

Cheers!

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@cosmic: awesome pics btw...love seeing all those books.

@pipehunter:

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, I must log in to Poogle in order to see Pipehunter's pics. Yeah, we're already there...

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have books all over the house; every available shelf and dozens of boxes. I pity my kids having to sort it out when I’m dead, but not enough to actually do anything about it. I’m guessing a massive funeral pyre will be the way to go. I just hope they jack up the insurance on the house first.

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Oh, I must log in to Poogle in order to see Pipehunter's pics. Yeah, we're already there...

Yeah, photobucket was giving me a hard time. Sorry about that.

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All I can see are 2 little circles with a line in them even though I logged in.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cosmic - You have two copies of Alfred Hitchcock's HAUNTED HOUSEFUL (second pic, lower left corner). Can you please put them on the same shelf...it looks messy.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is mostly my wife's collection of classic literature. My books are about music composition and aviation topics and they are scattered all over the house in piles where ever I happened to set them down. I've been giving my books away recently since there really isn't any reason to horde them at my age. Better to get them into the hands of younger people who could learn from them and enjoy them.

Cosmic, I see you have the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. I read those to my boys when they were little. I thought they were the best children's literature ever at the time. I enjoyed reading them aloud as much my kids enjoyed hearing them read!

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  31. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cosmic - You have two copies of Alfred Hitchcock's HAUNTED HOUSEFUL (second pic, lower left corner). Can you please put them on the same shelf...it looks messy.

One of them is trying to escape from underneath the L. Ron Hubbard books.

This is mostly my wife's collection of classic literature.

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

I use to say that a home without books is not a home.
    Prefer paper books.

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love books. I enjoy the heft of them, I enjoy their smell when you open them. All you need is a halfway decent pair of eyes and a little light to operate a book. I love the fact that, even if an author kicks out a revision, my copy doesn't change. I grew up with them. It's always going to be my preferred medium for literary consumption.

That said, I mostly read books and news on my iPad Pro anymore. It's like being able to fit a stack of books under my arm like a clipboard, and it provides its own light source when necessary. Like the bulk of my pipe collection, nearly all my books are still packed up and in storage in this intermediate period while I live in rental property while shopping for a permanent house (or lot to build on). I still pick up a Sunday paper nearly every weekend, though ...

Posted 3 months ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can you please put them on the same shelf...it looks messy.

This is why I didn't pan the whole room. This was the clean corner. Between my wife and I, we have six kids, and there is always someone in there setting on a beanbag chair reading and hiding from their chores. So, things stay messy.

Posted 3 months ago #
  35. renal923

renal923

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I think I want to visit and just smoke a pipe and then disappear into your book shed for a good week or 2.

Sadly, my physical book collection is almost non-existant now (several turbulent years with lots of moving caused most of it to go missing), however I'm in the process of building it back up.

Posted 3 months ago #
  36. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

reading and hiding from their chores.

Ah, to be young again. My dad used to let me slide on certain rules such as bedtime and when a particular chore had to be done if I was reading. At least to a degree but it didn't work for watching TV. Reading only.

Posted 3 months ago #
  37. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my most cherished books, a limited edition signed by one of my favorite authors:

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dontbeaburleyman, yuda, brooklynpiper, krizzose, trouttimes, alaskanpiper, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob, metzmo