Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
"I warned him not to feed at the toxic waste dump!"
vulture-600x456.jpg
vulture-600x456.jpg

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Do you do all your work in ink, sparrowhawk? I used to do quite a bit of drawing, but most of mine was graphite/charcoal. Powdered graphite....talk about messy

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I used to do a lot of work in acrylics, but people seemed to like my ink drawings better, and my reputation as a small press and gallery artist rests on the ink drawings, and that's the medium I'm most comfortable with. I like the fine detail possible with pen and ink. Unfortunately, the heyday of ink as a major medium is long past, so I'm something of a dinosaur.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Pip asked about other work: this is a cover I did in acrylics for Space and Time Magazine. Not particularly good, is it.

spaceandtime-456x600.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I love that magazine cover. If it didn't say 1999 on the front, I would've guessed 1962 or thereabouts.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I agree with ghost. It has a nice retro feel. And the starfish thingies make me think of War of the Worlds for some reason.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Actually, Pip, you might be thinking of a Japanese movie that featured starfish like aliens almost precisely like I painted. As Voltaire said, when I steal something, I leave my knife. And hey, Hobie, I got lots of things to do, like smoke my pipe! And draw nice, pastoral pictures. :D

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Well, nope. I haven't seen the Japanese movie. lol It was War of the Worlds b/c I read it this summer. Never mind that the description of the aliens in the book is nothing like those starfish, that's what they triggered in my mind.
My sculpture prof always said, "Good artists borrow, great artists steal." :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.