PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Like the post says, I'm going on a little vacation today to Paris, France with my wife. She's from Paris, so we go each year to see family. I've been there many times, so we don't really do the tourist stuff- mainly I just spend time with my in-laws, because I really enjoy spending time with them.
Anyhow, not sure how often I'll be able to check in, but I'll miss the community. I hope I don't miss any more holiday action, and that ALL of you are still here when I get back.
Harris, I will be sure to drink some pink champagne for you.
My father-in-law's father died from smoking cigarettes, and he HATES tobacco. I still smoke, but I just don't enjoy it as much when I have to sneak around a little, and when I can't just light up any time I feel like it. Plus it's freezing cold over there, so...anyhow, I packed a couple pipes (one for show, one for go), about 150 grams of Ennerdale Flake, and ready to rock and roll. Funny how I'm off to go on vacation, and primary concern is my pipe. I'm sure all of you would feel the same way.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Bryan,
Have a great time man. Maybe you can do a little window shopping and pick up some baccy there that is hard to find here.
Enjoy,
Dan

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Enjoy! We're probably going to France and northern Italy next Fall...Keep us posted on whether most places are pipe friendly..

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks Dan,
I'm going to try....I have a list of a bunch of pipe stores, so will visit as many as I can before my wife says, "Enough already!". Been to France many times, but never had a huge interest in trying new tobacco's until joining you enablers! Now, I'm on a mission!
I really want to find some Semois, but not sure if it's available, as it's made in Belgium. I see lots of pipe smokers walking around when I go to France. They mostly seem to smoke sweet aromatic tobacco. I'll ask around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Among the many meals I'll never forget in Paris is seafood at Bofinger's. Possibly the best I've ever had.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Have a great time! Paris was our first vacation destination. It is our favourite city in the world. GREAT restaurants (but not cheap!). I don't know if you like art, but go to the Musee d'Orsay anyway - you won't regret it. Smoking a pipe in the outdoor cafes is not a problem, but it will be cold - you will need a ski jacket.
I am envious.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Unfortunately, it's illegal now in France to smoke in a restaurant. Has been for many years now. My wife's sister's old roommate's friend's father's cousin owns a restaurant in Paris where they let us smoke indoors all we want, and ply us with champagne. I'll be going there again, I hope. Really nice guy.
My in-laws actually lives in Puteaux (La Defence) which is just a stone throw's from Paris on the west edge. The restaurants are considerably less expensive around the edges of Paris.
We were supposed to go to the UK and Spain, also (and I was REALLY looking forward to picking up some cheap Condor in Spain), but couldn't do it this trip. Hopefully next time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bryan, make sure it is either a Veuve Clicquot or Tattinger Rose, anything else is just not worthy of someone with your class and taste. LOL
I hope you have a great trip. I visited Paris in May of 2000 and it was unbelievable. It had always been a dream of mine to visit Paris and it exceeded my expectations. The people were very nice to me and the ex, the history, the food, everything about it was awesome. We stayed at a little boutique hotel across from the Jardin des Tuileries, around the corner from The Louvre and it was a perfect location. I rented a car and driver for a day to take us to Fontainebleau and Versailles, it was mind blowing. I hope to go back one day as 11 days was certainly not enough for that city. I would like to spend a month exploring next time.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
My wife is French also but they live in the Brittany region. Haven't been in a few years.
Have a good trip and bring us back something French.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Have you thought about a 2 day trip to Saint-Claude?
It's about 4 hours from Paris. Or you could take a TGV to Lyon and then another train from there.
I've always wanted to go but it's like 8 or 9 hours from my inlaws.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Have a wonderful time and please post some photos upon your return. I am totally envious. Someday I shall make a trip to Paris. My ancestors originated from Langres which isn't too far from Paris. :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
To me, Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. Enjoy your time there. I found the people to be friendly and the food and culture to be of the highest quality. Looking forward to your return with stories.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Bon voyage, Bryan. I too have family in France. I keep in touch with them on FaceBook. Someday (?) I'll visit France and Italy. Have a great trip.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks guys. I'm going to board soon. I begged my wife for a short trip to St. Claude, but no go. Why is it that the only pipe tobacco at duty free is Clan! Heard it was one of the worst smokes known to mankind. They sell 250 grams for $20. Too bad.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Bon voyage and have fun, even if the French have become antis as well.
I never thought I would live to see the day when the blue haze of Gauloise would forever leave the cafes of Paris...

Status
Not open for further replies.