PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I really don't find them to be all that similar in taste. the original Orlik DSK is powerful and I rub out the broken flakes further before loading. The smell is just like you would figure a Burley smell to be like, and there is a smidgen of Virginia supposedly in the blend but I really can't taste it. Very smooth and never gets bitter.
I've only smoked a few bowls out of one tin of the Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky. Unlike Orlik DSK, this one is rubbed out fully and very moist in the tin. It is perhaps a bit stronger, but the tobacco really tasted "fresh" to me. I bought a bunch of tins to try again a few years down the road as I think this one will age well, particularly with the Virginia component added to the blend. If you like strength then both would be good choices. HH Bold has a somewhat floral taste while the Orlik DSK just tastes like a strong, straight forward tobacco. And again, I am only comparing a really well aged original version of the DSK and not the re-release to a really fresh tin of the HH Bold KY, and that can be like comparing apples to oranges since aging can really change the presentation of a blend.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Orlik Dark is a tobacco I would love to try. Just have not gotten around to it. I to have thought about this question as I do enjoy Kentucky bold alot.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The new version of DSK has an appreciable amount of VA in it. Each flake features a fairly generous layer in between the layers of burley. I like it more than the HH Bold because even a small hint of floral is a turnoff for me.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I really like the ODSK, I don't generally care for a lot of burley but this balanced just fine for my palate. Speaking of which ... middle of the night is the best time to smoke with the sun long gone.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've only smoked a few bowls out of one tin of the Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky. Unlike Orlik DSK, this one is rubbed out fully and very moist in the tin.
That's odd, my tins are flakes. :crazy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Chasing, I had to read that sentence twice myself. I think what he is saying is that he rubbed it out (himself) as opposed to it arriving that way.
My own tin of Bold Kentucky arrived only yesterday and already am in love with the stuff. I would regard it as Old Dark Fired but with balls.
Regards,
Jay.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am mostly Va smoker but ODF is something I have been stocking up on quite heavily. I have 10 100 gr tins and just bought a tin from 2012 from Pipestud.
Its a burley blend for Va smokers.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I find ODF and BK to be a bit mild,..."
I too find them to be mild and only just bordering on medium. So many folks on TR.com claim them to be overpowering :crazy:
Both rather tasty though.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
CE, have you ever tried Gawith & Hoggarth's Dark Flake? If you like ODF and BK you should like that too. Certainly not mild that's for sure and it's bursting with rich earthy flavours. Only one day in for me but already put it up with Condor as one of my all time favourites :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Actually haven't. Have recently started exploring G&H, and that one's on the list!

Status
Not open for further replies.