PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
When I first tried this blend, by Gawith Hoggarth, I was completely turned off by the overwhelmingly soapy taste, which some prefer to call, more generously, "the Lakeland Effect."
After a couple of weeks of drying, I picked it up again, and at least the soapiness was somewhat reduced. Now, after a month, I tried it again, this time in one of my best-smoking pipes, a Stanwell Deluxe Plateau Briar I've had for many years. The soapiness is gone; the chocolate flavour is beginning to come through, and it smoked very cool and dry, despite my tendency to puff too hard and frequently.
So, I'll give it another month of drying time, and try again. Stay tuned. This may turn out to be a winner after all.

SteveNH

Lurker
May 14, 2013
when you say a couple of weeks drying, do you mean you left it open on the table for that long?

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
do you mean you left it open on the table for that long?
Not sure what 4dot meant, but if I "let something dry for a few weeks," That means, the tin has been opened, and the little air that gets in once it's opened (although with the lid back on) will dry it out some. After a month or so, and opened (but capped) tin will normally be pretty dry, unless it started off really moist.
That is why some of the guys throw stuff into Mason jars right after opening the tin. If you've got 10 or more tins open, you'll never smoke them fast enough for them not to get totally crispy. I, however, smoke a few bowls a day, and only have 4 or 5 tins open at once, so I don't worry about it.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"when you say a couple of weeks drying, do you mean you left it open on the table for that long?"
Yes, I just opened the plastic interior wrap, and let the tobacco sit opened on top of a file cabinet. The taste seems to improve with each passing moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.