PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Bob's chocolate flake comes in a rectangular tin with the tobacco in a plastic bag inside the tin.
The aroma when you open the tin is really pleasant. It smells like chocolate powder (Quick) and maybe a bit of mint.

Flakes are long and break into long strings which I just slightly rubbed just enough to make it easy to fold up and put into the bowl.
The tobacco is ready to use right out of the tin, I didn't need to dry it at all and it lights so easy and stays lit too.

The tin says Virginias, Latakia and Burley tobaccos with hints of chocolate, cocoa and vanilla. I must say the chocolate flavouring was not at all what I expected and actually had a soapy kind of taste to it. The tobacco flavours make the chocolate take a back seat and dominate this blend. Which is a blessing because it allows you to ignore the chocolate and continue smoking.
It burns really nice, no relights, burns right to the bottom of the bowl and if you can ignore the chocolate and concentrate on the actual tobacco it is quite good. You get a real mouthful of smoke with this blend, very thick, and very strong tobacco taste.
I will finish the tin no problem as I don't hate the chocolate flavour but I would really like to have this same tobacco without it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Funny, I was looking for the cocoa taste and didn't get it. That soapy flavor has been attributed to the "Lakeland Essence". I have no idea what that is, but I don't mind it. It keeps the blends that contain it interesting. I'm kinda with you about buying it again, but for the exact opposite reason. I like my aromatics to be, well, aromatic in both tin and flavor.
A blend that does both smell like cocoa and taste like it is McClelland's Holiday Spirit 2011. Two Friends English Chocolate smells and tastes slightly of cocoa but the Latakia keeps it in check.
-Jason

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I am really ithching to find a good chocolate aro. It sounds like this one is not it.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I am really ithching to find a good chocolate aro. It sounds like this one is not it.
@bailey331...it might be. Everyone's tastes are slightly different. I liked this tobacco but didn't really taste the chocolate but that might just be me.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Barkar try out MacBaren Honey & Chocolate it is very good. Actually, now that you have me thinking about it I will have to drop by the B&M tomorrow to see if they have any in.
edit: just thought I would add that it is a dark chocolate taste, very slightly sweet from honey.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
It is loose cut. P&C has it online for $8.03 for a 3.5 oz tin. If you decide you like it they have 16oz bulk too.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
UPDATE!!....I have smoked several bowls of this now and the tobacco is over a month old now. I thought it was important to let you all know the soapy taste is almost gone and I can taste the chocolate a bit now. Its still not a strong flavour but its nice.

So basically I'm recommending if you buy this tobacco, open the tin and then let it sit for a month or so, and it will be a much better experience.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
This stuff is good. Really good. If you like your aromatics to taste like a stack of blueberry pancakes drowned in syrup, this isn't what you are looking for. When dried for two hours, the flakes just sparkle with natural sugars, and the flavor is really robust, but smokes fairly smooth. I can get a bit of the 'chocolate', but mostly I taste amazing quality tobacco. The latakia is conservative and just right to make you think English. I am suprised it is not reviewed better on here, it is one of the best flakes I have tried to date.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
I agree that Bob's Chocolate flake burns significantly better than most other tobaccos.
Try different ways of packing it. My experience is that the chocolate flavors comes out differently if rubbed out instead of folding and stuffing. Rubbing out gave me much more chocolate taste!
I really like this one because: it's a flake, it burns well, a bit aromatic, and has a hint of latakia. Some might find this aweful, but I like it :wink:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
This was my first "fine" pipe tobacco and my first exposure to latakia and my first (only) exposure to the Lakeland essence.
I was not completely sold on it at first, so I put it aside to age. Now 1.5 years later I will revisit that jar and see if there is even a slight chocolate taste left. Since the base tobacco is good, I should be happy with the results either way. (I am pretty much done with the typical heavily-cased Cavendish aromatics)
Piet, I also tend to rub out this tobacco - but in general I do the same with all of my flakes.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Im adding this to the PAD. I love aro's. If i want something not harsh i'll grab a stoagie

Jul 12, 2011
If you are looking for a sweet chocolate taste Boswell's

Piper's Pleasure (Coffee, Chocolate and Vanilla) as well

as Chocolate cream.
Other blends like SG Bracken, Chocolate, etc have subtle IMHO

chocolate flavor

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
This stuff is good. Really good. If you like your aromatics to taste like a stack of blueberry pancakes drowned in syrup, this isn't what you are looking for. When dried for two hours, the flakes just sparkle with natural sugars, and the flavor is really robust, but smokes fairly smooth. I can get a bit of the 'chocolate', but mostly I taste amazing quality tobacco. The latakia is conservative and just right to make you think English. I am suprised it is not reviewed better on here, it is one of the best flakes I have tried to date.
I'm really liking the 8oz I put up a year ago. All of the flavors have mellowed well and the balance between the Va, Burley and the light Lat combined with the chocolate which was already in the background and the slight hint of "lakeland essence" make this my go to baccy atm. Let this age a bit, then light up a bowl when you have time to really contemplate the flavors. I doubt you will be disappointed.
Scott

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
My Bob's is hardly an aromatic anymore but it is probably none the worse for it... (It is actually older than I thought, being jarred in January 2011)
The soapy Lakeland essence is largely gone and the chocolate is very faint but still present.
A slight sweetness from the topping remains, but it may be complemented by a little Virginia sugariness; I was somewhat under the influence at the time of smoking, so I didn't care to make the distinction. :)
The latakia adds a dash of complexity, but do not expect much smokiness to emerge after this long in the cellar...
I probably should've smoked this awhile ago, but I had fallen out of the hobby.
As kodos notes above, a year might do it more justice; after almost 2 years the character that makes it distinctive has nearly faded as the chocolate, Lakeland, and latakia elements ride off into the sunset...
If you like the stronger tastes, I'd recommend you finish your tin in short order - if you want a mellow version, consume it within a year of opening. (Properly stored of course)

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I buy this stuff loose and absolutely LOVE it. Haven't had some in a coupla months though...Thanks, you damned "enablers"!

Status
Not open for further replies.