PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm sitting now with a hot cup of Moroccan mint tea and reflecting over the pleasant bowl of Bob's Chocolate Flake I just finished. I haven't tried much pipe tobacco so I may be a little easy to impress; it was my first Lakeland, flake, and non-OTC smoke.
Clearly, then, it was a great change of pace for me! I rubbed out the BCF and let it sit for a few hours to dry. Upon the char light, I sensed what must be the Lakeland essence - floral and perfumed but only in a mild and fleeting manner. It didn't last long, but it wasn't offputting at all. Instantly, the smoke tickled pleasantly in a way I'm unaccustomed to. As I sipped I noticed the fine cocoa flavour which was much more delicate than I was expecting, even though I anticipated the chocolate to be somewhat subtle from the reviews. The natural tobacco makes itself known above the casing. BCF did not burn with great ease, but I managed without any trace of tongue bite. It also delivered a moderate dose of nicotine for my tolerance, but it didn't put me out of sorts. All in all, it was a very good experience. Since I've only had one bowl there was no time to single out nuances - mostly just general impressions for the time being.
My one question then to those who have had BCF before: Is the latakia very prominent in its flavour profile? Apparently it makes up 8% of the blend, but I have never smoked latakia before and could not clearly identify it. (I have tins on the way to rectify that problem! Sail Green claims to contain some, but I couldn't tell.)
Feel free to include any relevant commentary on Bob's Chocolate Flake.
Thanks, gentlemen.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm glad you liked it! I've tried it in bulk and the tin and haven't been able to enjoy it. I think it lacks enough Latakia for my tastes. I find VA's as a whole to be very light and sadly, my taste buds don't appreciate them. I like my tobaccos deep and rich.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the review! I have been thinking about picking up some BCF but haven't for fear of it not tasting like chocolate. I guess I'll pick some up on my next order.
-Jason

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I have three tins of this blend cellared but I haven't popped one yet. I read elsewhere that this is a burley-forward blend, however, and the Virginias not as prominent. How did you find the blend balance in this one, aside from the casing and non-tobacco flavoring?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Eddie,
Judging by the last 50 tobacco reviews on BCF, most people comment that the Virginias are in the lead - especially with their natural sweetness. My palate is underdeveloped for the time being and I can't make anything but academic distinctions between tobaccos. I've never smoked straight burley but I have read it gives off strong chocolate undertones when burned - so that may be a contributor to the burley-forward opinion, especially if a dark chocolate casing enhances that effect.
I hope to learn more as time goes on; I'll get back to you when I can get a better handle on the blend.
Thanks for your interest.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I love Bob's Chocolate Flake. I do pick up on the Latakia in the blend, but it is very light and subtle. I think it is there to add some body to the blend and not necessarily to add the smoky Latakia flavor to it.
I have smoked both G&H Bob's Chocolate and SG Chocolate and while I like both of them, I much prefer Bob's because IMO the Lakeland essence brings out a little bit more of the cocoa flavor; while in SG Chocolate, the Latakia is more noticeable.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Bob,
I'm glad to hear confirmation that the latakia was subtle from a reliable source like yourself - there really was no smoky "campfire" taste or aroma as the latakia is well integrated, though I'm sure those in the know can notice it.
While I haven't tried Samuel Gawith's chocolate, it was my first choice because I had read dreadful comments about the Lakeland scent. Since that was unavailable, I settled for Bob's. I'm really glad that I did. I agree that the Lakeland essence brings something interesting to the table and adds more complexity to this blend. If it tasted soapy and overwhelming, I may disagree, but as it was I consider it an important part of the BCF taste.
I look forward to trying other tobaccos topped with chocolate to see how they compare. I'm also going to revisit BCF more frequently when my English mixtures arrive as a way to decode the taste of its latakia content.

wecamps24

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
I too have enjoyed them both, BCF and SGCF. I agree with Bob. The BCF has more to offer on the chocolate taste and yes maybe due to the lakeland in that flake. I think I prefer BCF more but they both have their qualities and can be enjoyed as individual smokes. It's like apples. Many different types, each can be enjoyed for the flavor they offer. Candy bars all taste different but isn't variety the spice of life?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It sure is! I'm very limited in the quantities I can purchase, unfortunately, so I have to be a little choosier than most. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake just for comparison's sake if it became available anytime soon.

twss

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2011
Austin, Tx
I've been really enjoying Bob's CF. I had no idea it had the lakeland taste as I'm still unclear exactly what that is. I can taste the latakia in the blend and think that it grounds the chocolate nicely. Anyone care to describe exactly what a lakeland blend is?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Lakeland tobaccos are made in the Lakeland district in England. The flavor is really hard to describe. It is one of those things where you have to taste it to fully understand it.
Some people call it a soapy flavor, but I don't get that from it. It doesn't taste soapy to me. I would say that it is more floral. I also pick up on a bit of Bergamot in the Lakeland flavor.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Ooooh, someone brought Bob's Chocolate Flake to the Pipe Club one time. Great stuff. I've got to sip it, or it bites. But really tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.