PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I just want to say Congratulations to Mr. Dylan............ An honor well deserved in my opinion......... :puffy:

If you really LISTEN you will understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35gheud5xBo

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
And they cannot find him :)
We have stopped trying -- we said everything we needed to his manager and friend, he knows about us being eager having confirmation from him, but we haven't heard anything back
LINK
And I heard that next year Miley Cyrus will be receiving it.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Congrats on the award, personally I cant stand Bob Dylan, the sound of his voice makes me change the station, feel the same about Willy Nelson

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I think it is kind of hilarious and arrogantly in character that he has not got around to responding ha. I enjoy his music and grew up with it but I would not want to hang out with the guy!
Isaac

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 @pagan & @ben88
These awards are making the Nobel Prize & its vaunted committee a farce!

Not trying to snub noses, but the same for British Knighthood bestowed on entertainers. Guardians of the Realm?

I feel the same about some of the the Presidential Medal of Freedom awards.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I can't say I agree with the message behind all of his songs (or even most of them), but I will give the man credit for being a talented songwriter. I do think he should be legally prohibited from singing out loud, though; that's simply a matter of public safety!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Personally I prefer Ig Nobel Prizes. Why?
The Ig Nobel Prizes are parodies of the Nobel Prizes given out each autumn for 10 unusual or trivial achievements in scientific research.
LINK
Biology: Awarded jointly to: Charles Foster, for living in the wild as, at different times, a badger, an otter, a deer, a fox, and a bird; and to Thomas Thwaites, for creating prosthetic extensions of his limbs that allowed him to move in the manner of, and spend time roaming hills in the company of, goats.
goat9-thomas_thwaites-photo-tim_bowditch-e1474640480740.jpg

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Dylan. Actually I think most awards are nonesnse with the exception of the Pulitzer and some of the Nobel prizes.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Dylan may not deserve a nobel prize, but he's definitely a music and poet hall of famer.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Ben88 wrote:
On par with peace prize for Barack Obama
And Al Gore's award in 2007.
I have no idea what's going on with prize committee over there, but I did hear one of the committee members queried as to why they gave President Obama the prize when he had not really done anything deserving. His reply was that the committee in presenting the award to Obama was attempting to inspire the president to do peaceful things. So it seems rather than reward people for what they are doing the committee is taking an active role in peace promotion. Maybe next year they will award themselves and prize of some sort.
As far as Bob Dylan, I'll leave that judgement to the historians. I was never personally impressed by his work. I'm thinking they should have a separate category of prizes for entertainers and song writers.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Tuold, I agree with your post and would like to add a small note on his music. I never understood it nor cared for it, maybe its generational, I'm 53.
Now give me some early 80's punk and the writings of Henry Rollins and I'd vote for that every day!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting leap for the Nobel establishment and probably healthy. I'm happy for Bob, who is undeniably a cultural force. I also feel for the world of wordsmiths who wouldn't have won the prize "even if they'd won the award," because they don't sing their work, but so few of us are in line for the Prize, it hardly matters. I've won the No-Prize for Literature for over fifty years. My super power is invisibility. But hail to Bob. I've enjoyed him in concert, on the keyboard mostly that night. He's a scrappy little guy with a big soul. The Big Prizes are a mixed blessing, but you can't critique them without sounding like sour grapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.